Learn about ALS
Country
CZ
State
Czech Republic
City
Prague
Hey everyone,

I am 20 years old, I have alwaya been twtiching mildly across my calves and maybe other parts too, did not pay attention to it. However 8 months ago I started twitching in my tricep, localy, it was a hotspot which lasted on and off 2 months. It vanished after and now I mainly get pops in my arms, forearms mainly in general (about 4-7) pop twitches or episodes each day. I think it increases when I am stressed. At first I freaked out but slowly due to forums became calmer, also my strenght has been increasing quite well in the gym. I had one neuro appointment 4 months in, all ok, I had another 2 weeks ago, because I had als my mind a lot and I wanted to get rid of it finallly, so this clinical was all good also, at first she said to forget completely about twitching and an emg which I urged. At the end she gave me the emg reccomendation when she saw how worried I was.

Now the creepy part, I came to the EMG, very anxious, and when it ended, the neuro was "How the hell did you think of als, NO WAY IN YOUR CASE" this felt very good, I thought I had the best day ever, however, I read the report then at home and realized I might actually have ALS.

My nerve condution study was done on ulnar and medial nerve, ulnar completely well, but my medial had one abnormality which was low amplitude, of only 2.6 and 2.8 mV. This really freaked me out.

Also the needle part was done on my hand, calf, and tricep. The calf and tricep went well (she inserted the needle in different part of the tricep than I twitched in though). However, for my hand is says histogram is in norm, but there is (rare/isolated/unique MUAPs of larger amplitude).

Now I really dont know what to think, i think the neuro lied to me just to make me feel good, there are probavbly more abnormalities. I read some thread here and on bfs forum and a lot of people had abnormal MUAP amplitudes so it calmed me down, but all the people i found with low amplitude in the median nerve had als. I even found it in studies online. Both of these values are consistent with als.

The conclusion says he needle emg about no denervation or fasciculation which would point towards a motoneuron disease.

The problem is, the conclusion is one thing, and the abnormalities another one. There is no one thing mentioned about my medial nerve in the conclusion. Also I think she inserted the needle in the wrong part of the tricep, not the one that twitched, I did tell her, but she said it does not matter.

I dont know what to do, I called my regular neuro and she said to visit a psychiatrist and forget about als, but she only refered the needle part, not the conduction study with low amplitude.

Please anyone has an idea if I really have als ? I dont want to have it so young :(.

So, you think that the neuro who performed your EMG is going to put his 15 years of school, training, and his whole career on the line, to lie to someone and tell them they do not have ALS when they do? Seriously? You do not have ALS, and your symptoms and clean EMG attest to that. I concur with your neuro's question of "How the hell did you think of als? NO WAY IN YOUR CASE". I also concur with your other neuro's advice of going to see a psychiatrist.

You do not need to be here, and that is great news. Make an appointment with that psychiatrist. That will be the best route for you to go.

Well I appreciate your help, but the very low amplitude of my medial nerve is really weird, as it is the only out of range variable, I think its als. Maybe they arent laying, they are just wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there-

This forum is not here for arguments. Your neuro and your emg results state "No ALS". Unless you have a degree in neurology, your interpretation of an EMG based on zero practical medical experience or education is not enough to convince anyone. If you want to expend energy arguing with people about your personal conviction you have ALS, please go back to your doctor. This forum is here to support those who have been diagnosed with ALS and their caregivers.

Thread closed. Please don't open another to carry on your argument. This is not that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back