Ronzo123

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello,

I have been following this forum for a while. I am concerned because of a few symptoms and would like your thoughts:
My symptoms started in May 2019 and have been persistent ever since. I have visited two Neurologist and though i had abnormal EMGs, no one can pin point what i have. I am now being followed by a Rheumatologist who is suggesting i have Psoriatic Arthritis but i am hesitant to believe this Dx. Would greatly appreciate your help in answering these questions. Hopefully i can remove the ALS from my thoughts:

1) For the past 2 years, i have have a toothache type pain right around my sit bone. That is the reason why i went to the Neuro in the first place. The MRI results never showed anything. Is it possible it's a sciatica around the hamstring? I have no idea but i had an abnormal EMG. Would someone with ALS actually have such a symptom?

2) I have tendon pain (like a pulling sensation) especially in my arms. Would someone with ALS actually have such a symptom?

3) I wake up with very painful heels in the morning. Would someone with ALS actually have such a symptom?

4) When i speak, my vocal cords hurt at times (like i'm at a bar screaming for an hour) and sometimes my tongue feels weak. It gets better with rest but goes back. Would someone with ALS actually have such a symptom?

5) When i get up from a sitting position, my lower back is always in pain.

To summarize, i've been living a rollercoaster for the past 2+ years but have not lost any functions. I am still able to do what i always do but with aches and pains.

Thank you for your thoughts.

None of those symptoms suggest ALS.

what does your clinical exam show? Reflexes, muscle tone , weakness? Emgs can be abnormal in many ways. Most of those have nothing to do with ALS. If you care to share your emg ( deidentified, with summary, interpretation and charts) we might be able to comment better

Hi Nikki,
I did two EMGs on two separate occasions. They did not share the results with me.
So i should be reassured that everything i mentioned to you, including the body wide twitches and aches and pains and rollercoaster ride in speaking is NOT ALS.
Would i have lost function 2+ years?
BTW i am 39.
Thank you.

Second everything Nikki said. Psoriatric arthritis does not have its own EMG manifestations but you can have more than one condition, as well. Not clear why you question this dx, but you can see another rheumatologist for a second opinion and put your fears to bed. It is a condition where early treatment can prevent long-term disability so not an academic concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back