Not open for further replies.

Hannahefg

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello everyone. I am sorry if I’m bringing inadequate information to the table, as I haven’t seen a doctor or had tests performed. My company does not offer me insurance so right now I’m avoiding a doctor’s visit unless necessary. But I’ve been researching my symptoms and based on search results I have started to worry I could have bulbar onset ALS. For context, I am a 28yo woman, no ALS history in my family. I have no major medical conditions but I do have bad anxiety which I’m aware could be coloring my perspective. I drink about 5 alcohol beverages per week. Below are the symptoms causing me concern- not all of them make me instantly think ALS, but I figured it would be good to list all of them just in case. Thank you in advance for your insights.

1. I frequently get a tight sensation in my throat that comes on randomly, but is always worse the day after drinking. I’ve experienced this for over a year, maybe 1.5 years because I remember having it before I got my first Covid vaccine. It feels like fluid is pooling in my throat or esophagus and I have to keep swallowing to keep my throat clear. Not choking per se but sometimes I can’t speak over it until I clear my throat.

2. Muscle twitching and buzzing all over body every day, especially feet and legs. Most weird is the muscle twitching in the sides of neck (not inside my throat) which has been coming and going since 2021. I also have sporadic facial muscle twitching, including both eyelids and corners of my mouth/cheek.

3. Getting bits of food stuck in my throat and having to swallow multiple times to clear it. This is more recent and happens at least once or twice a day. I don’t experience regular heartburn or gastro problems.

4. Stumbling over words at times when I talk too fast, speaking with a lispy sound.

5. Tongue sometimes feels stiff (this one is more rare)

6. The most annoying symptom is this weird sensation in head that comes and goes but is frequent. It feels like concentrated tension at the top of my head that makes my head shake slightly and feel like I want to lay it down. I do have essential tremor (genetic) so I have thought maybe this is the cause but I’m not sure. This sensation is also highly noticeable on a day after I’ve been drinking so I’ve been avoiding alcohol. I’ve had this symptom for at least all of 2022.

7. Fatigue, low blood pressure (avg 90/60) and occasional weakness and pain in arms and legs.

8. I feel uncomfortable when I’m seated and facing someone talking to them for a long time. It feels like I am straining my eyes, head/face muscles, etc. and it makes me feel tired.

Hello-

We ask that people read here first: Read Before Posting as it contains a lot of information and answers many of the questions that bring people here. In it you will read that you report a variety of things that do not fit the normal constellation of symptoms that indicate a concern for ALS- though what it might be is not something we could really say with any authority. We do also ask that people visit with their doctors if they have symptoms they are worried about, as this forum is not a replacement for a medical exam.

I am hoping you find a way to visit with a doctor in order to ease your concerns, though I understand this is difficult with your medical system.

Take care

Low BP could relate to everything you talked about, as either a cause or related feature. A telehealth visit to explore some possibilities and plan for when you get insurance is not expensive -- worth consideration. Meanwhile, adequate electrolytes, moderate exercise, and hydration (as in have a goal for the morning, afternoon, and evening) could well help. I agree with avoiding alcohol for now. ALS isn't on the table here.

Best,
Laurie

Definitely nothing like ALS, not in the least.
If you think you have a terminal illness, please see a doctor, don't make excuses. Stop researching on google to become a doctor, and think about asking the terminally ill to help you - is that really appropriate?
I hope you can get to the cause of what is going on, but you will only do that with medical exam and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back