26/2020
Country
EU
State
EU
City
New York
Good morning all
I have a problem with my tongue for 3 months, it contracts at rest, but the most worrying is that when I stick my tongue on my lips there are bags of worms all over my tongue which frighten me, more I have a weakness in the left toe and a slight perception of atrophy, I also have a slight cough when I drink liquids, please help me relieve my symptoms would be of great help.
I would like to add that I read the pinned son but the bag of worms all over my tongue when I take out my tongue frightens me terribly. Thank you for your answers.

Time to see a doctor I think. You need to be examined either physically or through a video visit.
Let us know what the doctor diagnoses as this doesn't sound at all like ALS but something is going on for sure.

thank you for your answer, I have an appointment Thursday with my neurologist I will ask him for an EMG and an MRI but I am really afraid of ALS I am only 24 years old and the bag of worms everywhere on my tongue makes me fear, is this a sign of ALS? The creeping worm bag is more revealing than tongue contractions, but the creeping worm bag is that when I stick my tongue out, I'm confused.

You don't ask for tests for what you think is wrong - you go to the doctor and let them do their job. You don't have ALS symptoms. All the best, your doctor will sort things out and clear your confusion.

Hello,
I came back to my appointment with the neurologist and he prescribed an MRI and an EMG for July 15, I have a few questions about the EMG:

1) Must the tongue be completely at rest to do the EMG or must it be in motion?

2) Is the EMG below the chin as reliable as the EMG on the tongue?

3) Will the EMG of the bulbar area always show something abnormal at an early stage?

Thank you for your answers.

Your doctors know exactly what to order on the EMG and they will decide what is appropriate. Don't try to second guess what they should or should not do. Just have the tests and let them decide on what is next. With no medical training your questions are not appropriate.

If you had ALS, which I highly doubt, anywhere they decide to EMG will show it, so let them do what is necessary and accept the results for your own sake.

I know I do not have medical training but I only wanted answers to my questions because I am desperate, it is very difficult for me, so if someone is kind enough to answer my 3 questions, I would be very grateful because it would help me a lot and it will give me freedom of mind before my EMG test.

Usually the tongue is not emg’d. For bulbar there are other equally good places including the under the chin one. It is examiner’s preference where they go. The emgs I have had were under the chin or sternocleidomastoid

if you have lower motor neuron damage at all yes it should show in any of the bulbar screening sites. let us know your results when you have them

Hello,
I did my EMG yesterday, the neurologist tested my thigh, my calf and my foot but he did not test the tongue I am sad.
I show you my EMG report (sorry it's in French) tell me if there are any anomalies.
20200716_135827.jpg
20200716_140011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your emg was normal. All those numbers relate to the nerve conduction test which is a non ALS test. The interpretation says no evidence of a polyneuropathy. What does the first sentence in the conclusion say?

The first sentence says: "Examination showing no argument in favor of radicular involvement of the lower limbs, in particular on the left".
The problem for me is that it has not tested any bulbar areas, not even my tongue, I have some questions:
1) The small contraction / fibrillation of my tongue always occurs when the tongue is stretched, but not when my tongue is at rest, is this normal? Does this sound like ALS?

2) If my tongue contraction / fibrillation was ALS, I would have no other
problem?

3) After 3 or 4 months of contraction, wouldn't the tongue have had more problems if it was ALS?

4) In ALS, are the tongue contractions / fibrillation also at rest?

Thank you for your answers.

Tongue twitching is usually benign anyway. It is normal especially if your tongue is not relaxed. It says so in the pinned post.

if you had bulbar als you would have more symptoms and abnormal exam.
yes

yes

As we told you before you went in - the doctors know where to test and why. Tongue twitching means nothing and yes after months of it happening if you have bulbar onset you would know.
So huge congratulations, your doctors are not chasing ALS - please believe them and work with them to find what is going on and how it can be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back