mechanica

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello,

My name is Joshua. I’m 30 years old. In January I noticed twitching in my right calf. It remained persistent. I did an emg in April and it showed cervical radiculopathy. They sent me for PT but I have not gotten better and now have atrophy of my left leg and ankle weakness, and my hands seem to be losing muscle. I did another emg 2 weeks ago which showed lumbosacral radiculopathy but now with denervstion potentials isolated to my calves which the Dr said seems consistent with the original diagnosis but I have severe atrophy of left leg as seen in photo and my hand muscles look bad. Any thoughts if this could be early onset? I now get twitches in my biceps and hands as well. I can lift weights but sometimes my shoulder burns when I lift it. I can squat but left leg has a bit of a limp so I compensate with right, I was born with spina bifida, have a tethered lumbar and syringomyelia in thoracic but they don’t think it’s responsible for atrophy, so far I’m only told pinched nerves.

Hi Mechanica-

You appear to be under the care of competent medical professionals who know your health history and who are tracking any potential changes in the last few years. I don't think anyone here would contradict what you have been told by your doctors. Your recent EMG does not appear to have turned up any signs of ALS, and according to your doctor, confirms the prior diagnosis. If they tested the muscles that you report are atrophied, and ALS were the issue, the results would be different from what you've received.

Thank you so much for your reply. They did and him saying denervation potentials only in my calves had me slightly worried as I’ve had twitching and issues with walking but they found nothing wrong with the nerves in my hands or anything in my neck or back, even though I’ve lost muscle in hands and arms. Thank you for reassuring. I have a follow up neuro appointment in 3 weeks. I hope you’re well.

Please don't try to become a google certified expert. Let the doctors do their job.
We haven't seen ALS happen the way you describe. all the best!

It sounds like you’re in good hands with your doctor.
Feel free to post about your upcoming appointment.

A little update: I had my neuro appointment on the 15th and he said there was no difference in examination and that my strength was very good and so he could not see anything wrong with me. I told him about the persistent twitching in my calf and the random twitching in other spots but at the moment he couldn’t see any of it, and he acknowledged the atrophy in my arms and left leg but said that I had no weakness and so he did not make a follow up appointment and suggested I do cognitive behavioral therapy. I’m noticing twitching and atrophy of my abductor pollicis brevis bilaterally and a shrinking in my neck muscles but no decrease in strength just an uncomfortable feeling in my thumbs. Thank you all so much for your previous replies. This will be my last post. I’ll follow up with neurologists in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back