Diagnosis
02/2018
Country
US
State
RI
City
East Greenwich
My husband just got his first AFO and I was wondering about shoe suggestions. The provider recommended sneakers but would appreciate any feedback anyone can offer.

Thanks
Sassy

I find New balance works best. They were recommended by my orthotist. I did try propet and another kind I can’t recall for dressier shoes but they were never quite right. Of course I am speaking from a woman’s perspective and there may be other options for a man that work well

Make sure they are big enough. I think Nordstroms will let you buy different sizes if you need a full size or more different instead of having to buy two pairs

Don’t hesitate to go back for an adjustment of the afo. I had to go back twice to have the padding adjusted. I also had to go back when my leg started to atrophy. If he has the type that just goes up the back of the leg that isn’t likely to be an issue.

Last edited:
I got them to work with my non sneaker shoes by pulling out the insoles. Never especially satisfactory...

Sneakers are softer and conform better. But I went thru three or four pair and never found a pair that worked well.

My best find was a pair of sneaker like hiking shoes.

Great suggestion--hiking shoes....
Thanks...

I use my AFO in the hiking boots I've worn for years. I must admit though, someone has been adding lead weights to the bottoms. They never seemed that heavy before!

Angie

I have AFOs for both feet. I like the Hoka Arahi shoes because they tend to run wide. I also have a pair of New Balance that I ordered in a men’s size to get the extra width.

Definitely take out the insole that comes with the shoe. You can then put the insole back in over the AFO foot plate. I have a pair of custom orthotics I put in over the foot plate, so the shoe size has to be a little bigger and wider to accommodate all this excess.

I recommend going to a shoe store and trying on shoes by removing the insoles and then inserting the AFO and then walking around the store. Once you find what works for you, it’s a good idea to buy a backup pair of the same brand and size, and you can do that on-line.

I also found there was a break-in period of using the AFOs before they actually felt comfortable. Now I won’t walk without them.

As someone who built AFOs for decades, AFOs are generally made for an 18mm heel. This is usually found in tennis shoes. Too high of a heel it pitches you forward, too low and you have to climb over the toe. You may have to get 1 size larger in shoes because the plastic takes up space in the shoe. Another trick is to put wedges under the heel if the shoe is low heeled, or under the forefoot if the heels are too high heeled. Hope that helps.
Vincent

ps; Get a pair of soccer socks and fold them over the top of the brace, nothing sucks more than plastic on bare skin in the summer.

Thanks for the suggestions. He's amazed how well it works...

My afo came with extra wide sneaker and worked well for the last three yrs or so.

I just now recently stop putting afo on as I don't stand or transfere getting vertical now.

One less thing to deal with sad to see afo go but freedom from shoes is good now just wear really big crocks.

Good luck
Chally

I have Otto Boch AFO’s, both legs. I used Rock Port tennis shoes for a couple years then they changed construction of the shoes and the back of the heel started backing down and they were not comfortable. Found a pair of Merrill’s that fit with the AFO’s. Shoes cost $69 a pair and I go through 2 pairs every six months or so. I just lift the heel of the insole and slide the AFO under it. For dress shoes I have a pair of Sketchers and a pair of Dockers that work OK with the AFO’s. I should say semi-dress shoes, they work with slacks but aren’t really dressy. I really don’t dress up anymore, wore a suit to a funeral a couple years ago and told my wife that was the last time I was wearing one. Shorts and a tee shirt or jeans and a tee shirt are my normal wardrobe. Khaki slacks and a guayabera or Hawaiian shirt are dress up for me.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back