Not open for further replies.

Anne827

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2022
Country
US
I have a noodle AFO for drop foot that has a bar on the lateral ankle that goes to back of leg and Is fasted below knee. I had to have a script and go to an orthotics to be fitted. I originally was fitted with a bulky plastic brace that I could not even fit in a shoe. I was just wondering if there is anything out there that I don’t know about and can order online. Thanks

What you have sounds similar to mine. It was chosen for me by orthotist who specialized in ALS He told me it would even help when I got quad weakness which it did. There are some thing you cn get on amazon for foot drop alone but it sounds like what you have is more appropriate for ALS. Why do you want something different?

this is what I have
20F43474-E0E9-4004-B5EC-8DE60A0EDC52.jpeg

Mine looks similiar but does not have panel in front. I just wanted to see if there was something better out there. it looks like yours offers more support and I wanted to see in the event I need one for other leg.

It does have support in the front which is why it helps with quad weakness the footplate obviously helps footdrop and theside bit ankle weakness which was my main issue when I got it. It is an ottobock walk on reaction. My friend had something similar think it was called Allen rocker.

My orthotist said mine was more durable and it certainly has lasted for me. It is prescription but not custom. The orthotist just cut down the footplate. When that orthotist retired I did see another orthotist who didn’t approve of it but since I was happy with it did what I needed - ordered a new sleeve

I have a SAFO by Dorset Orthopaedics (UK). It's a very thin silicone 'sock'with stiffening, made to measure and bespoke for specific areas of weakness. It fits inside most shoes and completely transformed my walk from a lurching gait to a confident stride. Very expensive (£1,000+) but I would highly recommend and is SO much more comfortable than the stiff plastic devices. I now have weakness higher up and am paying them another visit tomorrow to be fitted with an Bioness FES device for a trial period. This is even more expensive!

I don't have foot drop but do have ankle weakness. I was fitted for custom AFO'S I'm just waiting for them to be made. They were very expensive but were covered by Medicare and insurance. I'm curious to see how they help with my walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back