Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
tx
City
Houston
For the past year or so I have gradually be getting pain in my right knee. Both of my knee's snap back when I walk and now the pain in my right knee is unbearable.

I saw my orthopedic last week and he ran some tests and said everything looked fine. He gave me a steriod injection in my right knee to see if the pain went away. If the pain went away then it was tendon or cartlidge releated. If not then it was probably my knee being hyper-extended due to the way I walk.

It's been a few days and the pain has not gone away. I was wondering if anyone knew of a knee brace that would stop your knee(s) from hyper-extending (snapping back). Something with an adjustable locking mechanism that would only allow you knee to go so far back.

Thanks
Rob

Your Orthopedic guy should have suggested somewhere to get one. He might have to write a prescription for it if you have Ins. for them.
AL.

Knee Brace

TxRR
My husband also has the knee symptom, it is called Babinski Sign, he has been diagnosed with PLS. He was taking physical therapy when his therapist suggested a knee brace to help eliminate damage to the knee as a result of the buckling back. The brace is a Pro Rebel by Townsend. I believe the cost (paid by the insurance) was $450.00. My husband rarely uses the brace because it has to be tight which is uncomfortable and still rubs the skin when you walk, also it really doesn't stop the knee from kicking back. Hope this has been helpful. God Bless you Gracie.

OK Txrr . I had this last summer ,only my LCL was hyper exstended (Lateral Colateral Ligament ) this is the Ligament on the inside of the knee ,along the side . If it goes into a Contraction while it is suppose to go into a extention it can snap or tear lose from where it connects (this happens to runners ) . If i worked in my garden and kneeled down i would get it ,my nurse friend said well just dont work in the garden . Thats out of the question . I went to CVS Drug store got a Knee brace that had felcro attachments so you can tighten it where you want . wore it for the rest of the Summer Not getting it it no more . Might try it ? Geo

My Ortho recommended a place called TMS here in Houston. It just so happens I got my Toe Off AFO's from there about two weeks ago. The AFO's are good except they don't solve the knee buckle. It's also hard to drive with the AFO's.

I need to start doing alot of research. Thanks for your suggestions.

Rob.

hi

I hope you find a good knee brace,I am trying to decide which AFOS I need at the moment. Gracie.....babinski sign is when the doctor scrapes the sole of ya foot and the big toe goes up(instead of down) and the other toes fan out.:)

Michelle,

I spoke with my orthopedic doctor yesterday evening and he said a knee brace is not going to help me. The knee pain is a result of the way I walk and recommended a "dynamic AFO". I have been using the "Toe Off" AFO but found it's not very driver friendly. The dynamic AFO gives the ankle a little more flexability.

hey.......

what is the dynamic AFO? I havent gotten any yet,is it fitted by a doc. or can you just buy them? thanks,Michelle:-D

You would need a doctors prescription and locate a retailer in your area. I used TMS here in Houston. My doctor faxed them the prescription. They fitted me with the Toe Off (S,M or L) and charged my insurance company. They usually keep them in stock or can have them within a day or two. They are about $1,000 pair if you want to purchase them yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back