Status
Not open for further replies.
Amber, I am dealing with ALS with my mother, diagnosed in February 2013. She is still mobile and has full use of her arms. Her onset is bulbar. We can understand her fine still, but her speech is getting worse, as is her swallowing.

I fully understand your need to "help" and balance that with not overwhelming your PALS (or in our case, their spouse/CALS). I think these things are upsetting to my dad as much as my mom. I warned him/her about the wheelchair thing and how it can take months to get them and you want to stay ahead of progression. I try to temper that with "she may never even need it." But they know full well that means "she may have her diaphragm impacted and still have use of her legs up to the point that she dies from this monster of a disease." None of it is pleasant. My dad does not want to order the wheelchair because he said it will be upsetting to her to SEE it there. Even if she doesn't need it. Maybe your grandfather sees the hospital bed that way. My mom knows she will have better quality of life if she gets a PEG because she chokes so easily. So I thinking SEEING it and understand what it is and what it isn't did help her. Then I had to make a concerted effort to BACK OFF and not bring it up again. She's more aware than anyone of her weight loss and how hard it is to eat now. She didn't suddenly forget that the PEG is an option. I have to keep telling myself that.

My folks intentionally built their house with a full master suite upstairs (where they sleep now) AND downstairs just in case they needed it. They build this house after retirement so it was something they considered. Well, that time has come. But my mom has dug her heels in and will NOT move to the HUGE downstairs master bedroom. The one upstairs is her "dream room" and I can respect the fact that she isn't willing to let this disease take one more thing from her. So my dad is getting one of those chair lift things installed. This is a mental and emotional drain as well as physical. :(

Thank you guys so much! ok I will drop the DNR for sure and leave it be! Thank you for telling me that. I just want him to be comfortable and it seems like one things after another and I just want to take it all away for him. I know I cannot do that so that is why I try to stay one step ahead and just present stuff to them and then hope they take it. I am not sure what stage all of you are at or your loved ones are at, but is there a more comfortable position I can get get him in to take pressure off his rear that still allows for ok breathing? Not sure if any of you experience that at all or maybe have some advise with that. Again thank you for telling me that. I always try to imagine these things through his eyes. I would also like to take a second to say how proud of him I am. He is such a trooper through all of this. He still smiles all the time and tell us thank you! To me he is so strong and brave. I dont personally know all of you out there but you are strong too and I am sure your family members are proud of you. Caretakers and all!

Jamie i am totally there with you in all this. A while back I tried to do the voice bank deal and they were not wanting to do that, since that time my grandma said that she wishes she would have listen to me. They still resist things, but you are so right it is just because it is so hard to accept. I handle all the doctor deals so at least they don't have that head ache of all that. It will be a real balance between pushing and letting them come to terms. I really pushed them with the feeding tube because he was choking and lost 40 lbs. he was taking a while toeat too. I said if he get the tube he can still eat and that food is so important to helping the body. Once he got the tube he gain about 20 lbs back and the disease slowed a bit. Not to mention we did not have to worry about the fluids aspirating into the lungs. Oh and a good thing to say which is true, is that the dr take a while to get into and get things done. So you just want to stay ahead if the game.

I am sorry you are going through this but stay strong for them and don't take anything personal. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or just wanna talk.

Ps I should post some pics up from the bed because it doesn't even look like one. We ordered headboards from tender care beds and it looks great. You are right though it is all how they feel in their mind.

Good luck
Amber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back