Status
Not open for further replies.

jules1195

Hi everyone,

I am very new to this forum but decided it was time I got some input from people who know more than I about ALS. My best friend was diagnosed a few months ago and I need some advice. I support her 100% in whatever she chooses to do but I'm fear that she is still in denial and I want to broach some "sensitive" subjects with her. Any ideas how to go about this? She has no spouse and 1 child. I want to discuss things like: the house, a will, etc. Unfortunately the disease has affected her speech first and foremost so I feel that these items need to be addressed sooner than later. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi Jules:
There is no delicate way of dealing with this and I don't envy what you are trying to do for her. One of the things that she may need to do is find someone near her that she trusts to act as "power of attorney". If she is incommunicative and decisions for her well being need to be made, as well as her finances, she would want her wishes accomodated and not the state or crown, depending on where you are from.
It's a dry and matter of fact decision that needs to be made in the face of her sickness. I suspect that most of the PALS on this site have done it, but it's not discussed much.
Good Luck

CHeers

T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back