Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
Middlesex
City
HARROW
im 47 and normally of good health.

first noticed both of my arms were significantly thinner and i was less powerful with them in november of last year.

then both legs - both calves and thighs are thinner and lost muscle mass. i'm very fatigued in a way i'm not normally.. for the last couple of months i've had twitching in both calves, in my thighs and arms quite constantly. i feel very jittery and when standing for a period feel unsteady on my feet.

if i cross my legs i notice the leg jerking ever so slightly. i can't not do anything at this point e.g. can do calf lifts etc. I'm completely stressed by this and it is occupying my mind a lot. i am full of respect for the group and appreciate this could be anxiety feeding on itself. but i'd appreciate perspectives.

Atrophy happens because you cannot move a part of your body. It does not happen without failure. My husband has double drop foot (cannot pick his foot up) and his calves, up to his thighs, look like sticks with skin on them. He cannot walk without aids to help him and has to go on a mobility scooter outside. Do you have any of these issues? Can you clip your nails, button your shirt use chopsticks etc.? If you can, you don't have atrophy. If you have no failure of a body part and, as such, no "thinness", what are you doing here?

Simple twitching certainly should not lead you here for ALS as 70% of the population twitch but 70% of the population do not have ALS. Did you see your PCP as was recommended to you by the kind folks who took the time to answer your last thread?

You can take your anxiety away about having this extremely rare disease. You have not said one thing that would indicate ALS. That is great news.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Mod note- past thread here: https://www.alsforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43901

Archibald- it's not clear if you've visited a doctor or not. If you are concerned, this is where you need to start. You received some reassurance about your weight loss a few weeks ago here, but if you are still concerned, you should visit with a healthcare provider as this forum is limited in what it can do for such general and non specific health concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back