09/2015
Country
US
State
NM
City
Questa
Hi,

I'm at the point where I need to wear diapers, incontinence underwear, and similar products more. I'm starting off on Depends which have been ok. My husband and I were looking through Amazon and we saw Amazon has a line of products. Curious if anyone has used them. While many things are difficult with ALS,, having to deal with this issue has gotten me down lately. I know it's going to be difficult for my husband to get used to changing diapers. We don't have kids and he is new to being to caregiver.

Hi Diane-
This has indeed been a difficult transition for me too. I like to think of these products as pull-ups rather than diapers! 😉
I certainly want to avoid waking my husband up at night. Do you have use of your hands?

My current solution is based on lack of leg mobility but pretty good use of hands and arms. For overnight (which I assume you are mostly referring to) I currently use a female urinal system. It’s just become way too hard and unsafe to get out of bed during the night. So this works ok with minimal leaking (a washable bed pad helps there) but requires the ability to use your hands.

As a test I recently ordered some Teena overnight underpants and pads. I hate using them all. The overnight pad alone wasn’t enough for me. I also didn’t trust the underpants too much but they didn’t leak. I think I tried to “hold it” more than I should have. The pad and underpants together were quite effective.

As my manual dexterity decreases I expect that the overnight incontinence products will be necessary and I’ll eventually need help getting them on and off. Otherwise considering a superpubic catheter.

I hope others with more experience will weigh in.
Thanks- Mary

I haven’t used any — yet. But I’m thinking I might at some point for if I go out to plays, concerts, etc., and I can no longer deal with public toilets, even supposedly handicapped stalls. Unfortunately that day will arrive sooner than I’d like.

From this forum, I’ve learned of a company called Unique Wellness, and they sell “Wellness Briefs”, which apparently last up to 8 hours. They have a website you can google. They might even sell through Amazon. From what I’ve heard here and from what I gather from their website, they look pretty good.

Last edited:
I have been using Depends Night Defense, whether during the day or at night. I find that they don't leak as often as the so-called maximum absorbency. The motto around here is " better than a catheter."

We had a bathroom/ shower chair combination. I would slide the top part into the shower. It had footrests and a headrest, side support if needed. It reclined. It also reclined.
Nuprodx is the manufacturer.

Last edited:
btw we learned to pull up brief while on commode and then sling. No more painful rolling to sides in bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back