Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
City
London
Hi there, I’m a 56 year old woman and I’ve been getting twitches for 4 weeks now. Mainly in my left calf but also in my right calf and intermittent odd twitches in my thighs, buttocks, thumb and shoulders. I’ve lost 2kgs in a week and my left arm has lost muscle tone (although I’ve had only had a couple of twitches in these muscles). As far as I can tell I have no weakness although arms are heavy but this could be anxiety. I lost my dad to MND a few years ago and it took 2 years to get a diagnosis. I have a Doctor’s appointment tomorrow and would appreciate any advice on how I should approach the appointment.

As always when you see a doctor for a concern your primary question should be what is wrong with me? Not is this x or y or z?
organize your symptoms and time line. There is a sticky about getting a diagnosis at the top of this subforum though it is more geared to a neurologist visit. I think you are seeing your gp.

do be aware that not all gps are very knowledgeable about MND. If they refer you out without doing much do not panic.

your increased risk of mnd from having a single case ( parent) in the family is very small especially when that person was elderly as I infer he was if you are currently 56 and it was only a few years ago. You didn’t ask for comments on symptoms so I won't give any
Good luck and don’t worry

Many thanks for your prompt reply Nikki. I am seeing the GP and your advice is very sound, no need to plant the MND seed just because it is well planted in my head. My Dad was 76 and we are pretty certain that it was a sporadic case, he came from a large family too. I am normally a very rational, logical person but I have let the mind monkeys in on this. There are many other, much more probable causes (I am coming out of my menopause, I have hypothyroid that is sometimes hyper, I have just had a period of anxiety etc.) It's those darn twitches!
Any thoughts on my symptoms are appreciated.
And thanks again.

I'm so sorry about your father.
I hope you can get to the bottom of things quickly and seeing your GP is the best move. There are so many other things that could be going on, so don't try to direct things, allow your GP to follow the hoofbeats logically rather than through your fears.
All the best on this.

Thank you Tillie, I saw the GP today and took yours and Nikki's advice and let the symptoms do the talking (I actually wrote them down chronologically which helped a great deal). The GP was great, just kept saying 'hypo' against my symptoms, and said it without missing a beat when I talked about my twitching calf (anxiety for the more random twitching). Most likely cause is an abnormally functioning thyroid and anxiety. Blood tests first, then a treatment plan.
I'd always known that losing someone you love so much to MND scars you but it seems those scars run much deeper than I ever thought. Time to work on those scars.
Big love to you and Nikki, and more love to all those who are on this forum for the very worst reason.

Great news. Thank you for sharing

I am so glad you started some investigations with your doctor.
I also can't imagine the scars and fears, remember too that PTSD after losing someone to this disease is very real.
I know, I've had to work through a lot of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back