Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
City
Manchester
Hello,

I have been suffering from symptoms for the past few months that have steadily progressed and looking for advice.

In march, I visited my GP with concerns about atrophy, cramps and twitches I my left leg and foot. She performed a brief physical exam on my reflexes which raised no concerns, but was more concerned with my varicose veins (which I have a had private ultrasound done).

I guess I am not able to feel my left foot as well as my right foot (dominant side)

Sometimes I am able to see/feel the twitching in my left calf/foot, but at other times I have not been able to. I have also reported some cramping and twitching in my right leg/foot too.

This is particularly apparent when I am driving as my feet tend to cramp up quite quickly.

Prior to this, I have reported issues with my left shoulder as grinding / popping on my rib cage, but this wasn’t due to any injury. I am due for an ultrasound on this next week, but symptoms / pain has improved.

As a result, I have felt a weird sensation in my left hand - I can feeling twitching popping off occasionally in my left arm but not so much my right.

I feel I am in good physical shape, as I ran 10km this weekend (54 mins) and completed 20 mins on the stair master machine. I am also able to lift the same weight on each arm at the gym, for example.

However, I feel that things have progressed quickly in the past few days as I have become a bit more breatheless, can feel a pulsing sensation in my neck and face and struggling to sleep more than 5 hours per night.

Aside from this, I have felt quite confused (brain fog), starting to lose some weight (not had a big appetite in past few days) and I also struggling to whistle and have seen my second toe in my left foot not start to overlap my big toe whenever I curl it.

I have another GP appointment booked to discuss my progressive symptoms next week, so just looking for advice / help as I am very anxious / hyper aware at this point which I feel may be worsening my symptoms.

Blood work done in February showed no concerns.

I have my first therapy appointment booked next week as well, so hoping to tackle both the physical and mental symptoms to get some answers.

Thanks

Hi, I'm sorry you have these concerns.

I'd like to suggest you read this link through a couple of times carefully as it does address why the kinds of things you describe are nothing to do with ALS. PALS feel perfectly normal and are surprised that their body simply won't respond and work.
You are so right that being hyper aware really brings every little thing to your focus and can really cloud your perception on what is happening. I hope you can work carefully through with your doctors as they will have the training to figure this out.

I would ask about being screened for sleep apnea and related disorders, but see no reason to worry about ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back