Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
DT
City
Wimborne
I am a 77 year old man in the UK with a rather complicated medical history. I was referred by my doctor in January for neurological assessment of MND-like symptoms but the appointment date is not until the end of August. That is likely to be extended because of the coronavirus shutdown and the wait is making me somewhat nervous. The MNDa forum in the UK does not have a dedicated subforum like this so I hope no-one is offended if I ask for guidance here.

During 2003 I had a total knee replacement and during the recovery physiotherapy it became evident that I could no longer raise up onto my toes. That ability never returned and within a few months I had developed foot drop and was forced to use a walking cane for balance.

In 2008 after several years of back pain and reduced leg function I was diagnosed with severe lumbar stenosis but it was only when in 2012 that the bladder and bowel began to be affected that lumbar decompression was undertaken from L2 to L5. Subsequently continence control was restored but permanent damage had been done to the nerves controlling the legs. I began to use a wheelchair but could still stand with support to transfer and could walk with two canes for about 10 yards max. However, in January 2020 my left knee began collapsing without warning or sensation, causing me to have numerous falls or near falls while transferring. I can no longer lift my right foot from the floor to take a step forward and have to drag it. I can no longer walk those few yards with canes or any other support. I have to use a sliding board for transfers.

In December 2019 I was aware that grip strength was deteriorating in my right hand and the ability to manipulate small objects became challenging. My wife remarked that muscles in my right forearm had shrunk. In the following months the hand became weaker, especially the thumb/forefinger pinch, and I could no longer make a fist. The hand is dropping from the wrist.

Recently the left hand is developing similar weakness and the forearm muscles are also appearing wasted. There is quite a pronounced wasting in the thumb and forefinger web on both hands now. Using cutlery, opening bottles and jars, lifting anything that requires the whole hand or even a coffee mug is very difficult and often impossible with one hand.

Painful cramps in my lower and upper arms have become an almost daily experience, sometimes accompanied by distonia type contortions of my fingers.

Several times each week on average saliva somehow manages to get into my airway causing me to choke. Occasionally this also happens when drinking thin liquids although that happens less now that I follow some online advice to keep the chin lowered when swallowing. The saliva still catches me out though.

I realise that some of my pre-existing conditions will make any diagnosis difficult but does what I describe here sound to you as though they might be the start a serious neuromuscular condition such as MND?

Thank you for your patience.

Yes, MND is a possibility. However, your entire spine is stressed by mechanical imbalance stemming from your knee and lumbar spine issues. So it’s probable that you have significant degenerative changes in your cervical spine, possibly with nerve root or spinal cord impingement. Your lumbar spine degeneration may have also progressed since your surgery. This would be a much more likely possibility than MND.

Your assessment should include an MRI of the cervical spine to help sort this out, and probably an updated lumbar MRI and consultation with the spine surgeon.

Thank you Karen. I had considered the possibility of cervical stenosis, but isn't it unlikely that the effects would affect both arms/hands?

It can be bilateral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back