Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Wa
City
Auburn
I have had fascinations for about a year they started with some cramping in a foot and dissipated for about 8 months for the most part anyway. A couple months ago I had some tingling in my hands and feet doc said its nothing go home. Two weeks ago widespread twitching returned and saw neuro who performed a physical exam and said both knees were slightly brisk and to see a psychiatrist. Since then things have gotten rapidly worse I had three days where I went numb from waist down fascinations are getting worse and have muscle cramping in back feet and sometimes back. Worst is both hands shake and one leg is shaky as well as sleep starts. I feel horribly weak on the left side but saw Dr again today and said neuro exam was clean as last and I need behavioral therapy. My primary dr has ordered an emg per my request but I feel like time is of the essence. On top of everything else now all my joints are stiff and popping and I am beyond horrified. For the love if god my ear muscles even twitch! I can't sleep, I can't eat I am a wreck. Clean Mris have ruled out ms and had lymes test which was negative. I'm a mom in my mid 30's and I just want to know how to cope. Can Als profress so rapidly in the course of a week? I'm sorry but I'm do scared I won't see my babies grow up.

There's all kinds of literature on the net about this disease but keep pushing for tests to see what is wrong with u. Trust your gut and don't let the doctors excuse u. Also contact your ALS society for information and symptoms. They have been a great help for us, and they can probably inform u as to drs in your area who may b able to help u.

Time is not of the essence. If you had ALS, a week, a month, several months wouldn't make a bit of difference. The good news is your neuro exam was clean. You don't have ALS. The Neurologist who examed you would have suggested an EMG if he/she thought it were waranted. Do know how long it takes to become a Neurologist? Four years of undergraduate + four years of medical school + 3-8 years of internship and residency. Surely your doctor knows how to do a basic neuro exam?

Do you honestly want advice? See a psychiatrist. Our minds can play such powerful tricks on us, making us believe all sorts of things that aren't based in reality. I can imagine how scary it must be to believe that you have a horrible, terminal illness and won't see your children grow up. Listen to your doctor and make that appointment.

Also, go to aboutBFS.com BFS is Benign Fasticulation Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back