Status
Not open for further replies.
Post 9. You reported right upper arm weakness. It is not necessary to emg every symptomatic area. By definition ALS is a disease of widespread denervation. You also apparently did not have clinical weakness in your left hand

Discuss with your doctor but I would not be seeking another emg

Thanks Nikki

I should have provided an update on that post as I can see that doesn't tie in with today's post. On your advices, I did go to my PCP with the right arm weakness that came on suddenly. He advised that it was likely to have been caused by compression on the nerve the night before when I was leaning over my son's cot but was taking a bit longer to revert to normal. He was correct and my arm returned to normal within 2-3 days. I was so scared about my other symptoms that I automatically jumped to connecting it to the same thing even though it was not related.

However, the 2 areas that i had/and still do have the "weak" issues with are my left hand and right lower leg. I have not been able to see my neurologist yet but have seen a neuro physio who said my left hand was quite weak and "weaker than she had expected for someone of my age".

Rojo, this Thread is going to ramble on to an unnecessary third page.

You have been told your symptoms are not that of ALS, you have posted
pictures that do not indicate atrophy related to ALS.

You wrote...

"I know I need to wait for the EMG and neuro visit and you guys can't diagnose me."

Once again... EXACTLY!

Please do not post another reply until you have had an EMG then post the last
page, last paragraph that says, "Summary/Conclusion".

Until then...

Thanks Al, I did have my EMG yesterday and that is why I posted an update and had a follow up question. I won't have the official report for a few weeks until I see my neuro but I was told the EMG was normal and textbook. Obviously I was delighted with this, but my follow up question was that I had the EMG in my right thigh and right bicep but my symptoms were in my left hand and right foot/lower leg so I just wanted to check with you whether this would still pick up on the issues or whether I should query it/request a second one. I stupidly didn't really ask any questions when I was in there but should have asked why he wasn't doing it in at least one of the symptomatic areas.

It is common not to do the symptomatic area. One reason for this is if the EMG suggests a muscle biopsy, you don't want to biopsy a muscle with needle trauma from the EMG, as this can skew the results.

People with ALS will show motor neuron damage signs in many if not all muscles tested. You are in the clear.

Thanks so much Laurie, that's very clear. I received the report from my neurologist but it seems just to be the summary report not the detailed ones I see everyone else produce. His secretary advised this was the only report he received. I have attached the bulk of the summary report. I appreciate all your advices. Whilst it must at times be frustrating to reply to us at times, it takes a very special type of person to do what you all do. I wish you all the best that I can xx

Attachments

• Doc1.docx
    129.6 KB · Views: 346
The summary is very clear. Congratulations.

The tables are usually included though perhaps not with normal studies in the UK. Perhaps they are just kept at the point of origin.

They are most valuable to us here when someone reports an abnormality of some kind so we can see the exact issue. Reading your summary though does not raise any question.

Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back