Status
Not open for further replies.

amberm219

Reason
Other
Country
US
Hello, all!

I'm still in shock even after a year of knowing I probably have ALS...and now it being confirmed. I'm only 35 and live alone in my house...with my 3 large Huskies who are my life (they are my kids). I'm not afraid of passing away...but I am terrified of leaving them behind. They adore me and we are together 24/7. I have no family or friends that can care for 3 Huskies like I do. Any advice to help ease my heavy heart? It's a pain I cannot bare. It's my job to protect them and I feel like a failure. Having ALS knowing I will keep getting worse. I'm going to try to put the word out and see if anyone in my town is interested in giving them a new home...but I will probably do interviews. I'm terrified for them and how devastating this all will be for them. Animal lovers will understand. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

I'm sorry to hear about your now confirmed diagnosis. Just to be sure, did you get a second opinion?

I would take a look at the rescue sites at everythinghusky.com and see where you can develop a plan, if you cannot find a resource locally. I would also start looking at resources for your own care that might be OK with your dogs and vice versa.

Of course, you are not a failure -- you have no control over the fact that you have ALS -- and you and your pack should still have some good times ahead, and love to share.

Best,
Laurie

Sorry to welcome you here, Amber. This is such an overwhelming free fall of a diagnosis and as a dog person, I totally get your fear for your dogs’ future. This forum is a place of safety and generous support, and I’m sure you will find many more helpful suggestions and you’ll be able to make a plan. Laurie’s idea is a good start. One thing I continue to be grateful for is the network of support and information available in the ALS community.

For now, you have the unconditional love of your 3 wonderful Huskies and that will help you.

Warmly,
Mana

• Love
Reactions: MJT
Hi. So sorry for your diagnosis. PALS have to live with ALS physically and emotionally and then also figure out how this impacts everyone in their world.
We hired a dog walking service, that ironically costs more per hour than our home health aides .
Our lab hound was acting out due to lack of excercise. We started the service one month ago and it has really helped Jasper. We have a fenced in yard, but he needs to check out the neighborhood.
I suggest you consider keeping one dog now and re-homing the other two. I am sure they are bonded but dogs are resilient. That way you have one dog to enjoy at this time.
Most agencies/shelters allow foster to adopt. The new dog parent would take them for a trial time and then adopt. You can also pay the adoption fee for the new owner. If you can offer to pay the transportation fees if the adopter lives far away.
You can also use social media to get the word out. Our town has its own Facebook page. I have learned on this ALS journey that there are caring and kind people out there who dont know you yet, and they will help you.
Kathy

Hi,

I'm a fellow dog lover and owner. I also have no relatives and no CALS. I do have a housemate. I've had Ace since 2013 and got him from a great breeder. She is more than willing to find a home if I outlive him or he becomes too hard to care for. My roommate is also willing to keep him as he has become attached to him.

Have you thought about contacting the breeder?

Ideally, they should stay together if they're bonded. I would talk to husky breeders and find get some input from them. There are good rescue groups and bad rescue groups. Some do not vet homes as they should.

The other idea is to join a husky group on Facebook (they have them for every breed) and get some input from husky lovers.

I had to re-home a Cornish Rex cat because I fell over her twice and the second fall I hit my head. It absolutely broke my heart in two. I went on the Cornish Rex site and found a cousin of mine who is also a medical doctor was looking for a Cornish Rex kitten. She drove over and fell in love. She sends me videos of Emily every week. She is in a very happy home with another Cornie and two huge poodles. She has learned to swim and is spoiled rotten. My cousin works from home in telemedicine and she bought a home for her parents right next to hers so she has a "babysitter".

I totally understand your concern. I am progressing slowly so I hope that Ace can remain with me until one of us goes.

I understand they are your life and you are theirs, but they can have a happy ending.

It would be nice if their new home was close to you but my focus would be finding them the best home possible.

You can send me a message any time and I can help you. My heart breaks for you because I know how hard it was to let Leona take Emily. I cried for days but the videos help.

I just want to restate that dogs are resilient. When we adopted Jasper he had been shot with buckshot in his side and legs and was found roaming in Virginia. He was emaciated and had all the physical signs of extreme street stress.
He adjusted very well in our care. We have had him now 6 years and he is a great dog.
If you find the right fit in an dopter, your doggies will be okay.

Attachments

• CC3D5275-A5BD-4DB2-957F-58E33CE53B73.jpg
    CC3D5275-A5BD-4DB2-957F-58E33CE53B73.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 96
Thank you all so much for your support and kind words. It helps. I'm having the worst day of my life and cannot stop crying. They really are my babies and they are my absolute #1 priority. I will ask around and even see if some friends or family (the very little I have actually around here) can help me take care of them at my house when things get too difficult on my own. Thankfully my house will be easy to stay in as this progresses and I can put in a dog door so they can go in and out as they choose. I have a fenced yard too so that's great comfort.

I have to keep them as long as possible though, or else I know I will pass away sooner without them. Can you tell how close we are? They really are my therapy dogs and loves of my life. I have PTSD and other trauma from the military, then an abusive marriage I escaped from. So all my time is spent loving on my Huskies and gratitude for our happy simple life. They get crock pot dinners, eggs, carrots, fresh fruits daily...and tons of time playing and running outside and at the dog parks. Everyone knows they are spoiled lol.

My older boy Husky and girl husky are the parents to my younger husky (they had a litter and I kept one). So they truly are a family. They have to stay together no matter what. I'm praying and trusting God that the family I find is amazing for them.
Ideally it would be someone local who I can transition my babies easily to. Like maybe in the beginning have the new family come for visits, then have my Huskies stay with them a night or two, etc. That way it's not so traumatic for them to lose me and their home then go a new place. Hope that makes sense. Even writing that to you all helps me get it out and start having a tiny ray of hope. I know my sadness and fear right now will pass. We must rise and keep fighting. God knows. God cares. I just have to keep going for my babies. Just so sad. What a terrible terrible disease. Comes out of no where and breaks so many hearts. I will keep fighting. I just have to go through this breakdown first. 💔

FB_IMG_1639168316247.jpg

They are beautiful.
I am glad your house is workable for progression
I trust you have or are in the process of getting all the VA benefits to which you are entitled eta seeing you are only just diagnosed assume you don’t have the benefits for ALS yet. The pva is usually very helpful. Start there if you have not already

while exploring options and planning for their future is necessary I hope you can keep them for a long time

Those pups are stunning. You mentioned therapy. Is there a way you can train one of them to be a service dog? My cousin has a German Shepherd and she is deaf. She trained him herself and he alerts her when the door or phone ring. She isn't totally deaf but legally deaf, according to guidelines.

If one of them can be trained to open doors and other necessary tasks, it might be possible to keep one very long term. Just a thought.

Here's a picture of Ace. He's my hero. He's 10 and still acts like a puppy.

I do hope you get to keep them for a long time but working on a transition plan is always a good move.

Attachments

• AceHalloween2014.jpg
    AceHalloween2014.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 63
Amberm, when you pursue your VA benefits I strongly suggest you contact
the PVA (Paralyzed Veterans of America). They now specialize in veterans
with ALS. They did mine in a matter of about two weeks. (as per Nikki too.)

Ace looks like a love too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back