Advice on elliptical machines for home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the issue with exercising with ALS is that you might injure muscles instead of building them and also that you should conserve energy for what you're still able to do. For some people it's lifting a fork or spoon to your mouth, brushing teeth, walking with a walker, etc. Our first thought when Bob was diagnosed was to buy appropriate exercise equipment but very soon found out that wasn't wise. Stick to things that won't wear you out and down and work with Range of Motion Exercises, again, appropriate for PALS. Yasmin.

Running in a pool will get ur heartrate up but not produce any microtears in the muscle that we can't heal. also stregnthens the diaphram and reduces distal edema. but chech with the ALS neuro before doing anything.

was in phaseII part a of drug trial of ck-357, only 24 in the trial, designed to increase muscle strength not nessaryly to slow progression. for me it was very successful, left hand 11lbs squeeze to 19 lbs, right hand 43lbs to 51.5 lbs part b of phase II is suspose to be underway check out neals and click on drug trial i think increase in muscle strength may slow progression. the trial was over nov/2011 now down to 3 lbs left, 31lbs right. sure wish i could have stayed on the drug. if you are in commuting distance of research clinic check this out

It will not help you and maybe even weaken you. You can do nothing. My wife went to PT 3 days a week to no avail. They were just offering her false hope and taking her money. I have been accused as being hard hearted when I post on this site. I am nothing of the sort. I am not a lier. Als is a progressive almost always fatal disease. All of us will die some day. Some sooner, some later. It is where you are going that really matters. I trust in the Lord Jesus, just as my late wife did when she died of ALS 4 months ago. She knew where she was gong and you can too it you let Him into your heart.

I am not a expert on ALS but from what I read it sounds like physical therapy won't do any good. But, my father did benefit from some occupational therapy that showed him how to use eating utensils and swallowing exercises to help prevent choking. But, dad has limb onset not bulbar so it might not help everyone. Please be careful with exercising as I agree with Hangingon. It might do more harm then good.

I feel like I have benefited from pt, but if my muscles started feeling even a little overworked, I stopped. I did learn when I was gardening, that if I overworked a muscle I would lose a lot of it within a few days. I started pt after my neck surgery for several herniated disks (which I got from my job.) I explained ALS to her and she made sure I never overworked my muscles. A couple of weeks after surgery I noticed muscle loss in my feet and ankles. She gave me stretches for that also. I have never been shown any exercises or stretches from my ALS clinic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back