Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
ca
City
portola valley
I would like to purchase a new mattress in the near future. My husband has hand and arm weakness. Has anyone purchased a mattress recently that they really like?

We purchased an Ultramatic king sized bed, it is actually a double twin so each side is independently adjustable. It has lots of adjustments and also has a massage feature with 3 different settings. I sleep with my head and feet elevated, my wife sleeps flat. We find it very comfortable and sleep soundly. Hospital bed was out of the question because they are extremely uncomfortable and we still want to sleep together.

That is great info about the king bed with independant adjustable controls for each side. That sounds perfect.

One of the couples at our ALS group just returned a Tempurpedic (very expensive bed), because, due to arm weakness, once he settled into the mattress he could not move at all. They had a 30 day money back return policy so fortunately were able to return it.

Lisa

That is so funny, because my husband and i are both in need of a new mattress and have made that a priority when we receive our tax refund..... My poor husband tosses and turns because of back pain all night, and if i slip down my pillows my breathing and sleeping becomes disturbed, which then in turn disturbs my heart etc etc..... Please tell me that bed did not cost over 2,000, because it sounds really great! Thanks, Sam

The bed was $6000.00 - it just about put us into bankruptcy but is worth every penny! It might be a lot cheeper in the US - do a search and see.

Rick and I got a SleepComfort bed that cost $3400. It was recommended that Rick sleep at a 45 degree angle and elevate his legs to keep from sliding. It took time to get used to. I kept finding him sleeping like a hotdog in a bun through the center of the bed by morning.
Now he can stay raised by putting pillows under each elbow. He has to sleep on his back though. It does help him breathe better with the bipap, rather than lying flat.

I sleep on the couch most of the time. I can't get a restful sleep at that angle of recline...
and we didn't have room to put in a double king. Our house is very small. We know that the bed is wonderful for Rick, and will be just right when the time comes that he needs a hospital bed.

If that bed is comfortable, why are you talking about a hospital bed?

electric beds

We treated ourselves to single electric beds many years ago (when we were both fit and healthy) and now they have come into their own..we have them bolted together, but the mechanism and mattresses are independant...so we still sleep together but can each raise head or feet to the required angle. We have single fitted sheets on the mattress and super king sheet over the top of us...which is also good for washing..if I spill my drinks etc, then only the one single fitted sheet needs to be washed. I can also be more independant when I wake up or go to sleep and can just press a button to adjust my position..saves me bothering my other half. We bought ours in the Uk but if you look around in the USA, they are not rediculously expensive. ( we live part time in florida, so looked there many years ago, and prices were not too different from the UK)

joelc.. I think you misunderstood me. The SleepComfort bed serves our purpose for now and eliminates the need to later switch to a hospital bed. Now we use it for the inclined sleep, later it will do more for being bedridden. We are ready for anything.

I just wish I could sleep with him. We spend much time there awake, with the bed flat, but when he sleeps he needs the incline. I can't get comfortable enough for sleep, so go to the couch. I hope this is clearer.

God bless all who read and contribute. Take care. M and R

I use an independent adjust temper pedic w/ massage works great lasts forever

All we had room for was a queen sized bed. You have to have more room for the two sided independent controlled one. Oh well, we can't add on the house at this time.

I hear you Marjorie.

We built an addition and thought it was plenty big enough, then we needed a new bed and it just fit but make the bedroom cramped. There is enough room but it is a bit tighter than we want. Should have made it 2 feet bigger!

For anyone considering an addition - make it bigger than you think you will neet it! LOL

Very good, joelc. Our bedroom is on the enclosed porch of a "used to be camp on the lake." Don't get me wrong, our home is a lovely little cottage and we are very happy with it. We've been doing some renovations as time goes by, but not add-ons. Thank you for this conversation and all your great advice in other threads. Rick and I benefit from your experiences, and we are determined that we will go with the flow as well as you two have. God Bless. M

We treated ourselves to single electric beds many years ago (when we were both fit and healthy) and now they have come into their own..we have them bolted together, but the mechanism and mattresses are independant...so we still sleep together but can each raise head or feet to the required angle. We have single fitted sheets on the mattress and super king sheet over the top of us...which is also good for washing..if I spill my drinks etc, then only the one single fitted sheet needs to be washed. I can also be more independant when I wake up or go to sleep and can just press a button to adjust my position..saves me bothering my other half. We bought ours in the Uk but if you look around in the USA, they are not rediculously expensive. ( we live part time in florida, so looked there many years ago, and prices were not too different from the UK)

Hi Jennifer,
What was the brand of beds you bought?

Hi Jennifer,
What brand of electric beds did you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back