mark1984

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hi everyone.

Firstly I've been reading a lot of the threads on here and just want to say its a great community and provides a lot of well needed feedback for a lot of people.

For back ground I am a healthy 36 year old man, with a clear medical background other than a history of experiencing aura migraines on a monthly basis. I've been experiencing the below symptoms now for the last 6 months and was initially diagnosed with carpol tunnel syndrome back in August last year:

- stiff hands / joints / fingers
- numb / tingling sensation in hands
- loss of dexterity in fingers doing simple tasks
- deltoid muscles fatiguing quickly when doing routine tasks (cleaning windows etc.)

The symptoms have been ever present since the diagnois and in the last 4-6 weeks have got progressively worse:

- increased pain / stiffness in hands, especially wrist, ring finger and pinky
- weakness in hand / arm strength and have become more clumsy (dropping phone etc.)
- burning sensation in forearms (inner and outer) when doing activities with hands
- sharp shooting type pain in shoulder and elbow
- excess saliva / feeling of saliva dripping out of side of mouth

I have been referred to my local neurology department for further examination as my GP does not believe this is aligned to the original diagnosis and more in line with something like MND / ALS / MS.

I would very much welcome the thoughts of others in this forum that have had similar issues and although I understand that we should always follow our doctors guidance, if these are aligned to those that have then went on to be confirmed as having ALS etc.?

Thanks again and look forward to your responses.

Did you receive physio after the carpal tunnel dx or since?

Was an EMG done at that time to support that diagnosis?

Best,
Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for the reply.

No physio, only the use of wrist splints and restricting any activities which may be aggravating the symptoms.

No, I should have said that it was more of a speculative assessment by the GP follwoing another examination / blood work and their belief was it was not Carpel Tunnel Syndrome and that the recommendation was for referral to the Neurology department for further assessment / diagnosis. The intimation was that it could be something more significant only and the eurology department would investigate cause.

Thanks
Mark

Thanks -- what I meant was that usually CTS or any ulnar neuropathy would be EMG-confirmed. We usually do physio here as well, or at least recommend home exercises.

ALS doesn't generally present as you describe. I suspect you have a more localized issue.

Apologies I misunderstood. No formal confirmation of diagnosis or exercises prescribed via physiotherapy.

Hoping the Neurology department will confirm what's going on and give me a way forward. Was a bit unnerving being told it may be something more complicated than originally diagnosed but hopefully will know more shortly.

Thank you for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back