Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
NY
City
Portsmouth
Hello I am a 22 year old male. After doing a lot of research and reading a lot of threads I am really grateful there are people like you guys who have experience with this horrible illness and take the time to help others.

I have had symptoms for a month now and it started initially with my eyelids. If they close they twitch constantly and was a nightmare to sleep with. since the day that started I have had twitching all over my body and my eyelids haven’t improved. I was really ill for the first week of my symptoms and this just made me feel worse. It gave me the worst headache which has cleared up but I still have a stiff neck.

Since then I have noticed weakness on my left hand (shakes quite a lot and found it difficult to open jars, hold a fork out etc. Noticed it mostly when holding my phone in that hand as would shake. However I can still do everything, but am just concerned it is an early sign.
My left leg is really stiff too, like contracting my calf muscle is harder now then what it was. And my leg hurts in the joint of my ankle and since then has not improved. The twitching I have noticed a lot more on my left side like in my shoulder and bicep.
I understand that reading these forums may of started anxiety to make me overthink things. But you can always tell if somethings not right and that’s how I feel.
Im curious on the rate of progression of symptoms , and do people with ALS notice the symptoms constantly. And also wether symptoms literally were a slow decline in weakness or people tried to do something and they just could not do it anymore.
Thankyou for your time. I really do appreciate any advice you can give me.

Please read this if you have not already done so

Twitching is common, nonspecific and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described.
Stiffness is also nonspecific.
You don’t need to be here.

I have had numbness in my left leg and feels considerably weaker . I can only contract properly the outside of my calf , the inside I don’t seem to be able to . I am very worried , If I had als would it effect the whole calf?

Hi there-

It's not clear if you've read the link posted in Karen's reply to you. Sensory issues point away from ALS, so you need to be looking for some other reason for your concerns. Please work with your doctors to track down the cause of your symptoms, as a clinical assessment would provide more information to work with- and likely a whole lot more reassurance than internet research and speculation. As it's not apparent whether you've even visited with a doctor yet, it really does seem to be jumping the gun with regards to going to the trouble of asking folks with ALS to tell you how their symptoms compare. .

You don't have ALS and the sticky that Karen so kindly provided will answer any further questions you may have. The simple response to your question is: you don't need to be here. Read the sticky and be glad you don't.

Good luck to you.

Hi yes, I have read the post and my doctors have said I need to have blood tests next Monday. My left leg has just got weaker and is extremely tight it is keeping me up every night because it feels weird and notice tingling and it’s been about 3 weeks now. I’m trying to stay positive but this gradual weakness is worrying me. I was walking with my friends yesterday and even tho we were walking normal pace I just couldn’t keep up at all I felt like I was limping .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back