Diagnosis
05/2011
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
Greensburg
My husband uses an Avap, a Sip N Puff, Can't Walk anymore, in a powerchiar all the time...transfers to the toilet but needs a great deal of help/bars, personal help, he has a special shower chiar with a back because his back is weak, has a feeding tube having two feedings and eating one still... Well, you get the picture! Last year we went on two cruises which is awesome for the handicapped, but now with more machines, and less ability.

We live in PA and thought about flying to Puerto Rico as it is a US territory with possibly better accessibility, but I just read that there are no wheelchair vans to rent. ?

We have our own wheelchair van and driving to Erie, the East Coast, Mountains, etc... would be great. But, we just don't know what would be THE BEST place for all his issues.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?

I'm a teacher, so I am off for the summer and determined to travel with him somehow and someway. We need the get away, time together, different change of scenery...

Please, if you can suggest, it would be greatly appreciated!

Puerto Rico is indeed a US territory. They use US Dollar as currency and you don't need a passport to travel there, just your Drivers License. Weather is hot and humid there throughout the year but...people there drive like crazy, like if they were highway cowboys so you guys have to be careful. Handful of people there speak English but, you will always find fully bilingual (English/Spanish)people at all the hotels there.

What I don't know for certain is if they have ALS Association Chapter back there.
You should try to contact through your travel agent and see if they have ALSA there because it would be very helpful for you and your husband once you get there.

My family and I went to Las Vegas in July, 2012 but...before getting there my family contacted the ALSA (Las Vegas Chapter) and explained to them that a PALS (myself) was going to be traveling there and was going to need some equipment to help with mobility.

At least, at that time (and sill do) I was able to walk with a rolling walker so they didn't have to get me a van or a power wheelchair or any special arrangements but they would have, had I needed so.

So, my advice to you again, contact your travel agent to make sure they have ALSA back there and...once you confirm that info. then you can request help from them with equipment and anything else you might need.

Hope this helps,

NH

Nighthawk,

:) I've been to Puerto Rico twice! But, not since my husband has been handicapped! Actually, we were there off of our cruise ship this past summer (three times) But, I just don't know about handicapped issues/hotel/transportation... and especially with a heavy powerchair!

Thank you for your advice about contacting the ALS Association where ever we go. That is what I will do!

;) God Bless

Hi KissJ,

Sounds like you have plenty of challenges, but are keeping the right attitude. Kudos to you! I don't know anything much about Puerto Rico (maybe I'll go there someday), but....if you are considering a road trip across the U.S. (we've done it three times), I can tell you that the National Parks are worth the trip, and the pace is more leisurely, once you get there. Getting out there is a trip in itself....the Rockies, the Badlands, Bryce's Canyon, Yellowstone is a favorite, of course, and also Zion National Monument in Utah.....fabulous! Yosemite and Sequoia are great also. You can spend all the time you have enjoying these places, and you can stay at some really cool B&B's along the way if you shop a bit, especially in the Tuscon area (we usually make a big circle, going out on the northern routes, and coming home on the southern routes). Just a thought.
One more thing, depending on the time of year, you may luck up going through Nebraska, and catch the Sand Hill Cranes along the Platte River (there are guided tours, looking stations, etc., in the Kearney area, or you can just go on your own). Those are some ancient, noble, majestic and awesome birds..... you can hear them coming in long before you can see them, they fly at such high altitudes......amazing! Well worth doing, if you never have.....in my opinion. (Take some binoculars!).

Good luck, I hope you find lots of cool things to do, I know you will!

Steve

Thanks her4her! But, we won't be taking that long My husband has too many issues at this point! We would love to see all that you mentioned, but with his limitations it would be too hard. We are looking more to relax somewhere...One place. Thanks.

O.K., I thought you were going for most of the summer, my mistake. I see you're in PA. How about the Smokies? There are some very pleasant 'drives' there. Cherokee Orchard, just off the main drag in Gatlinburg is a 5mph, one way, little tour through the hills, very peaceful and scenic (we saw a bear and two cubs last time). Then there is Cade's Cove, going out toward Townsend.....another scenic drive where you will surly see deer and other wildlife, all from the car (van).
I am not sure about handicap facilities, but you could find out about that before you went. I guess that's not much help, but we always enjoyed the Smokies, not nearly as wild humongous the Rockies.

?

I'd suggest the travel bureau wherever you want to go--they should have some of that information for you. Especially if you're traveling state-side.

Have fun! Summers off was the thing I loved about teaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back