Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
North
Last January I tripped and fell while doing a conditioning session on a wrestling mat. I caught my tennis shoe and went down. This was followed by sporadic twitches, buzzing feelings in my feet and a trip to my doctor.

In February my doctor gave me a quick look. He had me walk, jump and felt around on my feet, legs, hands and arms and said I didn't have ALS. However, because he knows me well and knows I dwell on things he set up a nuero appointment just to be sure and to clear my mind.

In late April I went to the nureologist. He put me through a more thorough exam. He felt around, checked my strength in my limbs, poked me lightly with a toothpick, had me hop on one leg, walk on my heels and toes and get up off the floor without using my hands (that one was tough). At the end of the appointment he said he was 99% sure I did not have ALS or MS. He said he would be happy to order and EMG but he didn't feel it was necessary. It would only be for my peace of mind. He thought I was more than likely suffering from BFS and his suggestion was to lessen my stress and come back in a year for a follow up.

Now, I'm trying to stay positive, waiting for my 12 month check up next May.

I continue to twitch in my left foot daily. I notice it much more on the evening, or when I'm not moving. For the first time, I felt it while standing still a couple of weeks ago. It stopped, or at least I think it stopped, when I started walking around. The twitch is very light and quick, mostly confined to my left arch. It isn't a thumping twitch, it doesn't move my toes involuntarily and is not visible 90% of the time. However, it is a constant mental reminder that causes me to worry, wonder, and research ALS which has finally led me here.

Since my appointment I have also had various thumping and visible twitches at random times and in random places. They have occurred in my calves, quads, buttocks and even in my abdomen. The past few days have brought on thumping twitches in both shoulders and chest. I haven't felt them both at the same time but they seem to move from one side to the other. Usually behind my right shoulder and in front of my left. Unlike the small twitch in my foot, these bigger twitches come and go and sometimes disappear for days at a time.

I still walk well, with the occasional trip over something, although I haven't come close to actually falling. I can play golf, walk up stairs, jog, hop, and walk on my heels and toes, although my balance is sometimes a little off.

Over the past couple months, my left middle finger has become stiff, hard to bend, and sore to squeeze on the last joint. Likewise, my left index finger is sore to squeeze on the middle joint. I am 47, and my mother has arthritis in her fingers, so I'm hoping that's what is starting with me as opposed to an MND beginning it's process. I've read in a few of places that ALS usually doesn't start with pain in finger joints, so I'm hoping that's correct.

Every once in a while, I'll drop things, especially with my left hand. Usually light things like a t shirt, or sock, and usually with the left hand that is experiencing the finger stiffness. That said, I can still put lids on things, hold my coffee cup, pick things up off my desk and tie my shoes.

I am extremely right handed and have never been very coordinated with my left hand, so I try and take that into consideration when I start to worry about things.

I don't see noticeable atrophy or wasting anywhere, although sometimes I can talk myself into thinking my left foot is more boney than my right one.

I am constantly squelching the desire to call my nuero and move up my appointment and/or ask for an EMG. I tell myself that I would be much more deteriorated by this time, eight months from my original scare, and that I should just wait until May when I'm scheduled.

Does anyone else experience these type of symptoms or have any advice after reading this?

I have lurked here for months, reading posts from people who have been diagnosed and people who are searching for information. My heart goes out to each of you and I appreciate you taking the time to give me your insight on my situation.

Buzzy

I have read your story carefully and it does not sound like ALS to me, but I'm no doctor. Still 2 doctors don't believe it is either so I'm in good company.

Join a BFS site, check your diet and stress and find some relaxing things to do.

Wait it out and return to the neuro if you must in a year.

All the best, I'm sure you can get to the bottom of it without being here.

Does not sound at all like ALS. Twitching is common, especially twitches that only appear when the muscle is at rest. Arthritis in fingers in the 40's is also common. I don't see anything to worry about.

Based on your history of anxiety I would schedule the EMG-then you could put your mind at ease. Have it dome in an AlS clinic so that the neurologist doing the test will be familiar with ALS.

>Have it dome in an AlS clinic so that the neurologist doing the test will be familiar with ALS.

Ditto that!

I would like to thank each of you for taking the time to respond to my post. Your time and thoughtfulness is very much appreciated.

Buzzy,
You might have the stiff/dropping things hand evaluated for carpal tunnel or just start doing the exercises to keep it at bay -- widely available on the Net. I have a similar hand and exercises do help. Otherwise, agree MND doesn't seem in the picture. Rejoice, and don't forget those hand/arm exercises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back