Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
London
City
London
I am new to this forum and to ALS and I would just like to say how much it gives me faith to see genuine support and advice being offered from people who are actually affected by this horrible disease. It shows how people can reach out to others and would just like to thank you in advance for any advice offered.

I just wanted some advice on the progression of ALS and any important symptoms that would indicate it. I am very wary of Internet research and therefore felt it was important go get some facts.

My symptoms started a couple of months ago after I had a severe panic attack brought on by extreme anger. During this episode I began to feel an electrical charge feeling in my legs and arms particularly at the joints and on my left side. I also experienced my foot literally give way from under me. My foot had no sensation in it and as soon as I put any pressure on it it would just collapse. this continued for a couple of days and kept falling over. I also experienced involuntary flailingof my left arm and leg due to an electric tingly feeling. It felt as though the muscle was overexcited.

Since then I have experienced it develop again, but is happening without any panic attacks and feels consistently under the surface. Although I feel it more at night. I also have pins and needles sensations and my leg gets a cold sensation sometimes particularly around my thigh and calf. I also feel as though I am getting miniature very localised points of muscle pain/strain which feels like slight cramp. This is happening in my arms and legs. I have also had muscle twitches and involuntary jerking as well as muscle fasciculations which have been in my right thigh and calf muscles.

Forgive me if this does not sound like ALS, just wanted a little clarification on the main features. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow regarding thus and just wanted to feel better informed going in.

Thanks again!

Sensory symptoms as you describe are not associated in any way with ALS. Your doctor will give you an idea about what may be causing your symptoms.........forget about ALS.

Agree with Alyoop -- what you describe sounds nothing at all like ALS. What makes you think that you might have ALS?

Thanks, that makes me feel alot better. I suppose like alot of people, I typed certain symptoms into the Internet and it usually brings up the scariest things. I have suffered from severe depression on and off for the last couple of years and have felt quite irrational recently. I have tried to keep this under control, however just felt that sometimes a little support from others can help ease your mind!

The problem with searching symptoms on the Internet is, you do not see the full picture. You can't take a sample of symptoms out of the list and then think you have a rare disease. You will not find a list of symptoms like pins and needles, cold feeling etc under ALS. If you cough it doesn't mean you have TB. If you have a stomach pain, it doesnt mean you have stomach cancer............

I completely agree with you, and I'm laughing at myself for all the silly thoughts I have had recently. I suppose when anyone is feeling slightly vulnerable , it's quite normal to seek out advice. I think because symptoms are based purely on perception, it's very difficult to fully analyse your own symptoms and put into perspective. I accept what you've explained about these symptoms not sounding like ALS so just going to wait and see what doc says tomorrow. Thanks again for your kind advice, I appreciate it.

Moonbelle....I spent hours on the internet as well until I realised I had absolutely everything I read about. I soon laughed and gave up. :)
Funny PLS was not on my radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back