After resolving the fiasco with the belts and hoses not being ordered, we found out they neglected to schedule all of the "other" work that was supposed to be done. While it is in the shop to do the engine work, they were supposed to do a laundry list of other items, such as evaluate why the dash air conditioner is not working, do a full service of the generator, inspect the air system for leaks are replace the air system cartridge, change the transmission oil and filter, etc. While we have all been so focused on the engine and parts issues, we did not pay much attention to this other work. I assumed it was on the schedule, but it turns out it was not. I am glad I reminded them of it! It will take a few days to do that work.
Before they can do most of that "other" work, they need to get the engine running so they can move the motorhome to another bay that has a pit in it (to make the work easier). As they attempted to start the engine, they found one of the high pressure fuel lines going to the injectors was leaking, meaning they needed to order yet another part.
That part arrived and they got it installed, only to discover there was another fuel leak at the fuel transfer pump they had replaced. So, they need to get a replacement transfer pump under warranty. We don't yet have any word on how long that might take to arrive.
Once they get the new transfer pump in, it should only take an hour or so to swap it out and try once again to start up the engine.
Most of the workers took this week off, so I did not expect to hear any significant news until next week. I will let you know when I have another update.
Here is yet another update to the seemingly never ending saga of our motorhome.
Once the replacement fuel transfer pump arrived and was installed, they were able to get the engine running! They said it sounds great, though I suspect they would say that whether it sounds good or not.
They found a 5 inch long wiring harness with some abraded and corroded wires The wiring harness piece is not available separately, so it has to be purchased along with the sensor it connects to. So, about $1.00 worth of wiring will wind up costing us over $350. We have not choice, the wires need to be replaced and it would cost even more to custom build that short harness. Fortunately, they have that sensor and wiring harness in stock.
While they were checking the air lines for the air brakes, they found one with a bad crack. I knew there had to be a leak somewhere, and that appears to be it. So, they have ordered a replacement air hose.
Finally, when they went to change the transmission fluid they discovered they had the wrong filter kit.
In summary, the engine runs, but we are waiting on an air hose and a transmission filter kit. They have no insight to how long it will take to procure these items, but they are usually readily available.
I think we really are getting close to being able to get the motorhome back. Perhaps in the next week or two it will actually be ready for us and we can look forward to some nice travel in 2022.