Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all so much for all your advice. Yes my dad is open to discussion, i explained to him this weekend that people live a long time with the PEG tube. He was also back at the mayo clinic this week and the DR. explained to him all his choices once he gets to that point. I will honor whatever decisions he makes because at the end of his life that is the only thing he can still contol. It is my on selfish reasons for him to want to do everything he can just to be here another day with me. At the end of the day he will always be my daddy and i will always do what he says.

Jennifer,

I know that ultimately, the final decision of whether to get the PEG is his but...I think he would suffer more from starvation by not being able to eat than just getting the PEG while he still can
Who knows if by prolonging his life a little bit by feeding through the PEG, in the interim, a cure for ALS is found and he can be treated and cured if he's still alive.

NH

Thank you so much. I just expained that to him this morning and he did agree that he would do a feeding tube. I just think he is more worried about putting to much stress on my mom and my siblirngs. He has always taken such good care of us and we will all do the same no matter how hard it is.

Thank you so much. I just expained that to him this morning and he did agree that he would do a feeding tube. I just think he is more worried about putting to much stress on my mom and my siblirngs. He has always taken such good care of us and we will all do the same no matter how hard it is.

I am so glad he took the advice.

One thing that has not been brought up is the DNR. If you have one and call 911, the paramedics will attempt resuscitation. It doesn't matter if you have a DNR or not. However, if he has a POLST (Physician's Order for Life Sustaining Treatment), then you have control over what is done. It can be changed as many times as you wish. All you have to do is get your doctor to sign it. Post it on the frig and it has to be followed. It really gives a sense of comfort to the PALS because they are in control.

Lynn

That is an excellent point. I have a POLST on my frig and have discussed it with my fire and police dept. so they are on the same page. However, I don't know if the details of how this is done might vary by city and state.

One thing that has not been brought up is the DNR. If you have one and call 911, the paramedics will attempt resuscitation. It doesn't matter if you have a DNR or not. However, if he has a POLST (Physician's Order for Life Sustaining Treatment), then you have control over what is done. It can be changed as many times as you wish. All you have to do is get your doctor to sign it. Post it on the frig and it has to be followed. It really gives a sense of comfort to the PALS because they are in control.

Lynn

Well the only good thing is that i work For a Fire/Ems Department where we live so i have already attached his DNR to his address.

Thanks so much for everything yall are helping me with, it truly makes it alot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back