Not open for further replies.

CodyM

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
In February I noticed my wife had a foot slap. By March it was worse and we went to the orthopedic. She had a previous back injury that affected the muscle that raises the toes, so we assumed it was related. After all tests, nerve damage confirmed but no disc or compression issues. Only possible explanation was a cyst in spinal cord but orthopedic thought very unlikely the cyst was causing the problem. Now in June she has full foot drop. Can’t stand on heels.

In April I began to notice slurred speech. She says it feels like she is tipsy and tongue doesn’t work great. The slurred speech comes and goes. Sometimes it’s 95% normal, others it’s 70%.

She is 51 going through menopause. Has general fatigue and arms and legs feel weak at times. Difficulty going up stairs. No other specific muscle failures. Other than general weakness that affects both sides of her body nothing in between her foot and head.

Making appointments with ob/gyn for menopause advice/evaluation and neurologist as referral from orthopedic.

Questions:
- is it typical for limb onset to progress to slurred speech within months?
- is it typical for ALS to move from limb to speech without specific muscle failure in other arms or legs?

Praying this is a back injury with a menopause overlay but watching her degenerate is scaring me.

Thank you for thoughts and advice.

It would be unusual to go from foot to bulbar especially that quickly and without other failure. I know it is hard to wait but the neurology visit should tell you a lot when is it? Until she has a proper neurological exam anything we say is really guessing. Unusual is not impossible. In the meantime it can’t hurt to record/ video her voice

Still trying to get the neurologist appointment scheduled. Understood regarding the thoughts. Is there a resource that explains the best way to do the recording?

If she were diagnosed I would say contact teamgleason but one page to look at is augmentative communications program at Boston childrens google jay fishman als if you don’t find it They are able to retrieve more voice from fewer recordings these days. Right now though I would just record regular conversation on her good days rather than start a formal program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back