Country
US
State
ID
City
Boise
Looks like adult stem cells are finally a reality for ALS treatment :

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, until a reputable source has confirmed this and studies are done we will not post this link.

Excellent judgement!

This is a downer but ....

Saw my ALS doctor on Monday.

We talked about stem cell research. She is not very hopefull for it. She says that you can not get the cells to mimmick the genetic code that you grew up with.

I will keep hoping anyways.

Saw my ALS doctor on Monday.

We talked about stem cell research. She is not very hopefull for it. She says that you can not get the cells to mimmick the genetic code that you grew up with.

Wow. That's really sad. I was really hopeful for Stem Cell Research treating neurodegenerative diseases... some day soon...especially ALS. But Hopefully science provides a miracle... and soon!

I would love nothing more than to have someone defy all odds and find a way to make Stem Cells work.

with any of the MND researchers I've chatted with over email or read interviews with, it is usually the same thing - that stem cells will prove greatly beneficial in terms of pure research - but maybe not as a direct treatment itself... so stem cells still provide a great benefit to researching the causes and pathology of the disease... and even if the stem cells like Neuralstem's only help incrementally, it's still a step forward...
I still feel a lot is happening behind the scenes. research seems to be accelerating. :p

I would love nothing more than to have someone defy all odds and find a way to make Stem Cells work.

You and me both , Joel , You and me both.

My intention is to stick around long enough for someone to find that fix. If it takes forever, I will be there.

I have posted this before BUT for those who may not have seen it. My neuros are optimistic that ONE DAY it will work. We went to an mnd conference hosted by the mnd assoc of the UK and their head researcher gave a talk. So far stem cells have been proven to grow limited new motor neurons, but it is like growing an inch when you need a mile...so still a long way to go..also they have no idea if the muscles will actually link up with them, so there is thought that there should be some treatment at the muscle end and make the 2 join up. No idea if this is being worked on, but I guess it could be. I will be first in line with all my friends on here WHEN thry come up with something

The research being done by Neuralstem is that of developing differentiated motor neurons that will help preserve existing neurons, not necessarily to reconnect with muscle tissue. I think it's more important to think in terms of slowing the progression of the disease than an outright cure at this time.

If Neuralstem didn't think they had a compelling case to make they wouldn't be pressing forward with clinical trials.

Wish the FDA and Neuralstem would get on with it! I'll take the preservation of neurons!

I hope they come out with some sort of stem cell therapy. I am going to UW next week to give a skin tissue, so that they can generate stem cells from it. They plan to generate motor neurons and other cells to help PALS.

skin stem cells

Gopd luck Nishant!

Keep us posted what you learn and what they find. We need all the hope we can get!

Patty :)

Wish the FDA and Neuralstem would get on with it! I'll take the preservation of neurons!

I can't wait either, jimercat. We won't know until they try it and that time has come!

I hope they come out with some sort of stem cell therapy. I am going to UW next week to give a skin tissue, so that they can generate stem cells from it. They plan to generate motor neurons and other cells to help PALS.

Yes, Nishant, keep us informed of how this process transpires, if you could please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back