Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
The new posts button is right under the home button and they are too close for me and I keep ending up on the home page. Can it either be relocated or the distance increased?

This is something a lot of us use all the time and many of them have a much harder time navigating than I do

I keep doing the same thing! I wasn't going to complain, because I thought it was just me. I know there's a "new post" button on the other side, but I'm left handed and keep hitting the Home button and having to navigate back.

Oh I never saw the button on the right lefthanded here as well

Navigating around a bit more now, and you're right, it's a bit of an issue. That more easily used "New Posts" button on the right is only accessible from the main forum page. If you're in a thread, the only way to see new threads is to either backspace or try to hit the less easily aimed for "new threads" on the left. I've hit it quite a few times and found myself having to navigate back from the home page.

The new posts button is right under the home button and they are too close for me and I keep ending up on the home page. Can it either be relocated or the distance increased?

This is something a lot of us use all the time and many of them have a much harder time navigating than I do

I recommend clicking on the HUGE logo instead; it will always take you to the homepage of the community and NOT the homepage of the entire website.

I think you misunderstood? We aren’t trying to get to the homepage of the forum. We want new posts. As fiona pointed out there is a better button on the right hand side but it isn’t on all the pages

Last edited:
I guess. looking at the top of this or I believe any page there is new posts right under home. As stated it is too close for clumsy navigators and we keep ending up on the home page. The more disabled the worse this will be. The right hand new posts butyon is lots better but not everywhere.

The main page is not much of a problem because of the large and obvious "New Posts" button on the right. But on any other page, the only "new posts" link is too small and directly under another link that takes you away from the forum itself if you hit it accidentally. It's really easy to do, particularly if your aim is bad due to motor control issues. It's an annoyance and frustrating as it makes it a little more burdensome to navigate to new posts from anywhere other than the main forum page. May not seem like a big deal, but it requires extra effort and adds to frustration.

I am not so bad with the motor control stuff, but I find myself hitting the "Home" button in error multiple times per forum session and it's aggravating.

The link at issue is the one on the left, directly under the "Home" button. If it could be made larger, or the "Home" button offset or moved in order to prevent it getting hit as easily, that would be really helpful.

This is better? Forums is first and there's nothing to accidentally click for "new posts"?

Attachments

• 1557506756382.png
    1557506756382.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 274
It issomewhat better yes. When you miss and hit forums you go to a page where the righthand new posts button is and can then navigate to new posts but it still is an extra click each time

I'm not an advocate of hacking around with the existing navigation. It is tiny I completely agree and I've miss-clicked myself quite a few times.

So instead:

Would it be helpful if we identified 3, 4, or 5 of the most useful pages of the site? We could then add an "accessibility option", similar to "hiding avatars", for "show huge buttons".

This would then add 3, 4, or 5 huge buttons with lots of white space, just below the menu, and appearing on all pages. Miss-clicks would be difficulty with huge buttons.

We could render these BIG BUTTONS for desktop display only.

Thoughts?

A picture is worth a thousand words they say:

Or, after doing some research, we could create a second style for the website that drastically increases the font sizes. Any user who wanted, could enable this alternate style.

This would make menu and text larger which would make everything easier to navigate.

It is specificalky the new posts I and others would be after so the big buttons probably wouldn’t help

Not sure about the second style. Probably more scrolling which would make things harder for the eyegaze crowd who are also at risk for the problem with new posts. I don’t have eye gaze but have used it to try it and my sister had it so I have a fair idea of how difficult it can be.

What you did is an irovement so thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back