Diagnosis
11/2019
Country
US
State
PA
City
Philadelphia
Hi, my dad was diagnosed with ALS a little while ago. He's always loved to draw and paint and he's really good at it! Now that he has ALS, he's beginning to get weakness in his hands and doesn't paint as often. I want to help him want to paint again. I've been scouring the internet looking for adaptive writing aids/paint brush holders but can't find anything for a left handed person. Does anyone know of anything that is good for left hands?

Reach out to an occupational therapist, preferably one associated with his ALS clinic. Also, Kristine Copley at CCALS in Falmouth, Mass., has extensive knowledge of assistive devices and you could pick her brain.

I don't claim experience, but found a number by googling adaptive paint brush left hand. You might also look for art brush holder. There are also foot-operated setups.

He might also want to start looking into software at some point where he can use a trackpad or touchscreen, which will require less force and can leverage a mouthstick, tongue mouse, etc. as his later capabilities permit. It would be wise to get comfortable with a software approach earlier so any transition isn't rushed. And there are certainly artists using eye gaze should things get to that stage.

Last edited:
I paint and do anything I can with my hands. I don't have a lot of money so spending what I have on swpecialized equippment is not possible. On bad days when I'm constantly dropping my paint brush I take a thick elastic and wrap around my brush to thicken it and lessen the slippiness, then I tie a string around it and to my hand so when it goes I don't need to bend over to try to get it. I also crochet using a very large hook and thick yarn. It's so much easier then using finer utensils. When we really want something we can always find a way even without fancy equippment. But if the equippment is available then by all means get it but it may not be as good as home made articles. We tend to adapt better with things we evolve into. I strongely believe if we are encouraged to express ourselves we live better and maybe longer lives. Does your father email- I'd love to talk to someone with the same desires and troubles I have. Good for you for wanting to encourage him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back