Diagnosis
02/2019
Country
US
State
NJ
City
MONROE
the time is near for me to renovate a bathroom which will be tailored to my needs.
needless to say, i wanted to start here, with all of you.
can anyone offer advice, resources, suggestions as to what i should look for and/or
avoid?
its a modest bathroom (i don't have the dims with me). from what i've read, i'm focusing
on a pedestal sink, a toilet w/bidet, and altering a shower for wheelchair access.
are there standard dimensions i should keep in mind?
thanks!

Attachments

• P1010122.JPG
    P1010122.JPG
    664.7 KB · Views: 277
We made a zero-entry shower with the shower head on a sliding bar, comfort-height toilet raised with a toilevator and outfitted with a bidet seat and a wall mounted sink. Grab bars in the shower and also on both sides of the toilet. (I found a toilet paper holder/grab bar combination.)

I found some dimension guidance online too. I've attached pics.

Attachments

• 20170423_112305.jpg
    20170423_112305.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 253
  • 20170423_112347.jpg
    20170423_112347.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 261
  • 7f492a9a9817fd0822de020054922c04.jpg
    7f492a9a9817fd0822de020054922c04.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 266
  • d45aae099f11f74f207dda4f7ecb27be.jpg
    d45aae099f11f74f207dda4f7ecb27be.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 262
I'm not sure you'll have enough room for a wheelchair, certainly not for both a Hoyer and wheelchair. Some of us only had a shower chair, which is narrower and shallower, so you can transfer from the wheelchair or bed into the shower chair in a room other than the bathroom. You can hover over the toilet in a sling, or at some point forego that and use a shower/commode chair that you sit on or hover over.

If there is not enough width to build a roll-in shower because of where the toilet is, you might consider a ShowerBuddy.

Has anyone used a ShowerBuddy? That looks like the best option for my PALS due to bathroom limitations. They have many different models and I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

thanks alot! i know its not much space to work with, but i think it can be done. the suggestions you've made are very helpful. i now have a place to start. the shower chair will probably be my best bet and i like the idea of a wallmount sink.
i'll have to look into a showerbuddy also. i appreciate your input.

I have been using the Showerbuddy SB3T for a little over 2 years. I had the one castor/brake go bad (brake wouldn't stay engaged). They shipped me the part free under warranty. Also had the cable that locks the tilt position break. That was like a hundred bucks and out of warranty. I was still able to use the chair by attaching vise grips to the bare cable. I ended up buying the optional air cushion seat. It's expensive and a bit odd to use, but I am glad I got it. Pretty comfortable. Whatever you do, make sure you have tilt!! Do not buy one without. I made that mistake and had to upgrade in a year. I would buy the Showerbuddy again

thanks, jimi. i'll keep that in mind.

I have the ShowerBuddy 2. My shower is too small for the tilt and frankly I'd be afraid to lean back in the shower. I'd feel vulnerable. But the contraption works for my shower because I have a 6" base. Also it lets me transfer in the bedroom and wheel into the bathroom. And it's handy for haircuts.

I live in an apartment. I have to transfer in the bedroom and role chair in. I have never had an accessible shower/tub. It's been 2 years and 3 months since I have had a shower. It's been sponge bathing only. I don't smell or itch and my skin is in perfect condition.

That's good to know thanks

Almost forgot. The reason I highly recommend tilt is that when we use a sling and hoyer lift, sitting perpendicular (very upright) when up in the air isn't that easy. This makes it very difficult to get seated on the shower chair if it doesn't tilt - your butt will not be back in the seat properly. With the tilt, it's a one person, easy job. Before we roll into the bathroom, we sit me upright for maximum maneuverability

Tilt also helps when the PALS core strength starts to go.

thanks! good points. right now sitting upright isn't an issue, but laying flat on my back is. i'm not sure what the future holds,
i'll keep that in mind.

thanks to all, this is a really helpful exchange. We are just starting to design an accessible home and will make good use of these ideas.

We did not have room for the tilting ShowerBuddy in our shower, either (we were renters) so we used the upright one. When Larry's core weakened too much to use it, we wiped him down in bed; he toileted from the Hoyer in a different room. Rich, with progression, maintaining an upright posture will become an issue and that is why power wheelchairs tilt and recline, likewise hospital beds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back