Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
As some of you know, I have a different condo and a roommate. Fred is 6'4". All three of our toilets are short. I ordered a bidet seat today after doing a lot of research. I got the Bio Bidet 2000 which claims to fit just about any elongated toilet.

In the past we have had American Standard Champion 4 higher toilets. There is one that is ADA compliant called Right Height one-piece but it is only available from one retailer and that is online. Fred likes it because it has a powerful flush. I like it because it is a one piece, easier to have cleaned.

Do any of you have recommendations for a comparable toilet that is available in stores or should I take a chance and order. I've never heard of the place. We want to replace all three toilets.

If any of you are using bidet seats or other systems I'd like to hear about it. We're doing two bathrooms over.

Thanks for the help.

I still can't find an OT to come out. ALSA said they would help but, so far, nothing. I don't want to keep pestering them

We bought the same bidet and have had it for about nine months. Itvworks great. We also bought a ADA approved toilet for a very reasonable price at home depot. It has worked great with the bidet.

Those of you that are ordering toilets and risers, do take the future with a Hoyer or overhead lift into account in terms of height. The floor lift only lifts so far, and you will be well below the cradle. With an elevator or frame, it is easier to shed the extra height if needed later on. Also with a floor lift you will want to ensure that there is enough room on both sides for the legs of the lift.

Laurie, I read your response three times and still don't quite get it. I don't want risers. Is there a reason I shouldn't get an ADA height toilet for my bidet seat? We will have two ADA height toilets in the two other bathrooms because Fred is so tall and some of my friends are disabled and obese. These "visitors" have already said the toilets are too short.

I don't know if I will just try to use my electric Hoyer lift or put in a track. I know I'll need to widen the doors. I wish someone who could coordinate all these changes would come to my rescue. Fred can only do so much and he is not my significant other. He is doing as much as he can. Without him, I'd be in a nursing home.

Kim, if you can afford it you want the trac. Now I wish we had a year ago...didn't think I'd still be around now. Our hoyer won't get me to regular toilet so have been using commode sense bad fall last December. It sucks!

Also, our local ALSA provided the bidet.

Hi Kim
We had to replace old toilets this year and got American Standard right height champion. They are fine. They were in stock at Home Depot but I was told they could easily order them if they were not

Hi, Kim, sorry if I was obscure -- use Nikki's recommendation -- point was just not to go "over the top" high to leave enough room to stay in the lift or be lowered, whatever turns out best (and could evolve with progression).

Since it sounds like you have a Hoyer already(?), when you get the toilets installed, you can play with it and see how that affects the dimensions you will need for the bathroom and lift path. If you want to consider the overhead route, the mfrs of the major lifts/tracks, e.g. the Voyager, have pretty good diagrams/specs on line on sites like SpinLife and PHC.

The base I noted above raised my 'comfort height' toilet even with my PWC.

When I can no longer use it transfer board, we can remove the base so 'normal' folks feet can touch the floor again.

Thanks.
Nikki, I was ready to order 3 American Standard Champion 4 Right Height and HD said they were discontinued. Those are the ones Fred and I both have at our other places. I feel like swapping out these crappy (pun intended) toilets for the new ones we have in our other places.

Oh looking back you said one piece. Ours are 2 which I know are still available because I looked before posting to make sure I was saying the right name

Last edited:
We put in ADA height toliets a long time before ALS. Then we added the riser and bidet to the one in our master bath. Once Matt started using the lift full-time, we removed the riser so that I d on't have to sit on tip toes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back