Status
Not open for further replies.
Olly

Olly,

Can you get me as much information as possible:

1. Delb's full name for starters.

2. His wife's contact contact information.

3. Any information regarding those involved with his care. This would include social workers, ALS Assocation members, Traymore contact names, and any other relevant person involved with his care.

4.. A summary of his current situation and history.

Thanks,
Stu

Sweet Caroline, You are more reason that I believe this darn illness hits the best of us. I have to believe like my husband always says, maybe our families were chosen for a reason, and maybe it is because the heart people like you have, I am proud to call you a dear friend, and am honored that this disease has showed me your goodness.
Stu thank you so much for offering the help, it only proves what this board is all about, I thank Olly so much for posting about Delb.
I once again thank Granpa and Cindy and Dave for offering us the place to share and care.
We all may be part of this illness, but we are also part of this friendship. My husband takes things one day at a time, and when I read about so many frightened people coming to this board I feel for them deeply, but want to tell them what I wish I would have been wise enough to do, not worry, what will be will be, and we have to make every day we are here special, none of us get out alive, but while we are alive me must live..

stu

dels full name is del b denning.
i have a email address for his wife and will pm it to you.
renee his alsa workers email address is in a post further up the page,i have spoken to her on the phone and first contacted her when del needed help.
bruce,dels friend of 19yrs will be able to give you more info,i will pm you his email address but it is his office /work one and he will not be there till tomorrow.

as i have said before del did not want to leave his home as he knew his wife would just leave him where ever and sell of his things.
del and his wife were enstranged some years ago and del had his own home.
his wife started to loose her sight and needed an operation so went to del for help.
del sold his home to pay for his wifes operation ,i am not sure what promises were made on her part but del gave her the remainder of the money to win her back and make her happy.
shortly after this del started getting ill.

the abuse del suffered was mostly verbal abuse,but there was also neglect of care.
he would be left to fend for himself alone in the house most of the time.
she would go off for days or a week leaving him alone,this terrified me as he falls alot.
she would not let him use the kitchen equipment to try to make food for himself,but would not prepare any food for him.
many times she would have friends over to eat but del was left in his room with no food.
she was ashamed of him and the als,did not like him to even go out in the yard for in case the neighbours saw him.
he would go to bed hungry and thirsty alot of the time,this was because it would take several hours to try to get food and drink down.
in the evening his wife would complain and get mad about this so he would just give up.
she is very sly and twofaced,she would be nice to adult protection,his nurse and others.
she would promise to look after del which she did for a few days /week then go back to her old ways.
she would shout at del if anyone interfeared about his complaints and threaten to go back to china or anywhere else so then he would be left to fend for himself or go into a home.

del has told me all his wishes.
he does not want his wife to have control over his care or were he goes.
he did not want his wife to get her hands on his assets and valuable collections,both he and i know the money will not be used for dels care.
dels wife is only interested in money,she has maybe over $100,000 in investments,alot of what she has she got out of del and left him with nothing.
del had a lawyer go to the house a few months back for advice.
the possibility of divorce and other action was discussed,del said he would think the options over but was not sure as legal action would cost too much.
i looked on the net and found out some places that did legal aid and sent him the info.
what he really wanted was someone to have power of attorney so his wife would have no power over him,i could not do that being in the uk and ill also.

the place were del is now looks nice on the internet,but it could be decieving.
in bruces email he said there is lack of care and his things would get stolen.
he also said he maybe moved to a va hospital.
del needs to be were he feels cared for best with his things,this ideally would be back home but i dont think that can happen now.
he needs fulltime care but can not get it at home as his wife is hardly at home.
i am upset by the fact that he has not had his voice machine in nearly 4wks,how is he supposed to communicate what his needs are?
plus the fact his wife has not visited once,well she got what she wanted did,nt she?

so that is the basic details,bruce will probably fill you in more.
i am not sure what can be done but any help is better than nothing.
word of warning,i dont think contacting his wife till you have spoken to del is a good idea. and if you do contact her be carefull.

i know del will be truly greatfull to see you stu and of any help you can give him.
thankyou from the bottom of my heart,i will be forever endebted to you.

hoping

that was so beautifull it made me cry,you have such a wonderfull way with words.
you have always been so supportive to me and many others also.
i know how much you also suffer and this pains me greatly.
i did have a very strict christian moral upbringing but the fact is i just hate to see any suffering of any kind.
i am not saying i am or ever have been a saint but i always try to put others first and help were i can,sadly in the world we live in there is too much suffering and we can only help so much.
del knows if we were in the same country he would 100% be living with me,no way would i see him in a home.

whatever differences may arise on the forum we have to stick together,care for one another.
some are lucky to have plenty of relatives and friends for support,but i know some on the forum dont and we need to take extra care of these ones.
i know i have had a indifference with odd ones,one is pat1.

pat1,i want to publicly appologise to you. i should not have said what i did and have felt bad about it since. i understand that you suffer a great deal. i hope you can forgive me.

Caroline,
I am sure whatever small thing that was said between you and Pat1 will be water off a ducks back. Caroline is the most truest of souls, and I know Pat just will want the best for all involved. We are each other's support system and advocates. I truley believe that a cure and or cause of this disease will be found with the help of the member's of this fine board.
With numbers come's a voice.. My Hero Augie put it really special. ALS takes our voices and our lives way to quick, so we have to make a lot of noise with our writtne word, (last part was mine)
Caregiver's another thing I wanted to say is Augie also said that he was "Drafted" by this disease, his wife Lynn enlisted...Says it all..
I hope we can do all we can for Delb, please let us know how we can help? maybe even Curt Shilling, or Augie, or my friend Barry Winovich, who all have foundations could make a difference.. Keep us posted dear friend.

What Ever I Can Do

I don't know much about DEL. but I think I know enough now that I can write letters to Social services or whoever you need me to. I am a former foster parent in Louisville and know how social services works, you have to advocate for every person placed in social services or they fall through the cracks, I have 4 adopted kid through them and sometimes being a mom to them is all about advocating. Lets get started.

Renee

It sounds like Stu is ready to take direct action.

Let us know what any of us can do to help, Stu ...

I've merged, pray for delb and Action needed. People were posting in 1 thread and others were replying on the other. Hopefully everyone can stay on the same page to get more done.

AL.

No problem. We do what we can.

AL.

I just called the Traymore and left a message for Delb that we are thinking of him and wanted him to know that we are trying to make his situation better. I asked if he had his laptop and communication device and was told no, not yet. Considering the privacy laws there is not much that a facility like that can tell a stranger. When I said his name the person answering phone said "ohhhh" in a sad sounding voice.

Let's see how many more messages we can get to him today. I know there are those who cannot speak but with no e-mail address phone calls are all we can do today.

Sharonca

Sharon, thank you for taking the leadership on this.

telephone update

i have called traymore and the lady who answered gave me a number to call back to a phone given to del.
she was going to write a message down but could not understand my accent.
when i said that del had discussed his wishes about his care to me and got a message to me by via bruce to help,she said ok to talk to him direct.
so i got to speak to del in person.
i told him of the support the als forum have shown.
stu,i told him about you and that you are going to see him and help.
i told him our first priorities are his voice machine and laptop so he can communicate.
then we can sort out care and his belongings.
the call was so upsetting as without his machine he can only make little noises.
i think he will be happy now he has heard my voice and know help is on its way.
thankyou everyone for your help,del is so special and means the world to me.
now i have to just try and stop crying,ive had a headache the past few days from it.

We can email Del!

I just called the Traymore & left a message for Del. What a place that must be!:-? They transferred me upstairs where the phone rang & rang. No one ever answered. So I called back again. This time they answered, but there was a hideously loud alarm going off & it was very difficult to hear. :roll:

I was able to ask about emailing Del. The woman I spoke with said I can email the Traymore & if I put Del's name in the subject line they will print it & give it to him. :)

Hopefully they will do this. I plan on sending an email today. I'm sure that the more people that show that they care, will help Del's emotional well being.

Caroline & Sharon are right. If we can't reach out to one of our own, then..................well I don't even want to let my mind go there.

Stu, a HUGE thank you goes out to you.:-D

thankyou linda

when i called the lady was a bit off with me at first,but when i explained del had got a message to me and i was concerned about his care she said i could talk to him.
did she give you a email address or is it the one in my other posts?
they are probably a bit bewildered by all the phone calls to del,i know the lady was with me calling from the uk.
i am sure del is feeling a bit better emotionally and cared about after everyones messages.
thankyou all so much,you are absoloutly the best group there is:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back