Diagnosis
02/2007
Country
US
State
PA
City
McEwensville
Whether you have ALS, think you have ALS, found out you didn't have ALS, are not yet diagnosed, are a family member or loved one take the time to read this and then ACT.

This must get done and now. Over 4300 PALS in the US have lost their battle with ALS since the idiot from Oklahoma placed a hold on the bill. Almost 800 have lost their battle since the senate decided that the price of gas and partisan games were more important than human lives. We have to let them know that we will not and cannot stand for this.

We need at least 5 more votes. If you live in a state with a senator that voted Nay you MUST impress upon them the cost of doing so. A no vote simply because of party games is costing human lives. If you don't know how your senators voted check here.

With just a few weeks remaining before Congress adjourns for the fall elections, the time has come for the Senate to vote on S. 3297 and pass the ALS Registry Act. We anticipate that the Senate may hold a series of votes on S. 3297 at any time from now until the end of the month so it is absolutely critical that you reach out to your Senators TODAY. This may be our last chance to pass the ALS Registry Act this year and take the next steps in creating a national ALS patient registry.

Thanks to your continued outreach, we are now just five votes short of the 60 we need to pass S. 3297! So please go to the Advocacy Action Center of our website and tell your Senators not to leave town until they pass this critical legislation. Let them know that people with ALS cannot afford to wait until next year. Let them know that politics should not come before patients' lives and that arguments that it costs too much are just excuses (the bill is an authorization and does not appropriate a single dollar!). And let them know you will be watching how they vote. Let's finish the job and enact the ALS Registry Act this year!

In addition to grassroots efforts, The ALS Association also has engaged in other advocacy efforts here in Washington. We helped to organize a coalition of more than 140 different organizations who recently sent a letter to the Senate in support of S. 3297. Moreover, Oprah Winfrey has helped generate support for S. 3297 during her daytime talk show by requesting viewers urge Congress to support one of the bills included in S. 3297. These combined efforts, along with your grassroots outreach, are sending a loud and clear message that hundreds of organizations representing millions of Americans are in this fight together. We want the Senate to pass S. 3297 this year. So again, please contact the Senate today!

Finally, as you reach out to the Senate, we also want to emphasize how important it is for you to support S. 3297 and not advocate for the ALS Registry Act to be considered as a separate piece of legislation. Our supporters in the Senate have included the ALS Registry Act as part of S. 3297 in order to pass the bill this year. And it likely is the only way this can be accomplished, for there simply is not enough time remaining in this year's session to pass the ALS Registry Act as a stand-alone bill. In fact, if we do not unite behind S. 3297, Senator Tom Coburn will succeed in his more than two year quest to kill the ALS Registry Act. We can't let that happen. People with ALS can't afford to wait any longer.

Contact your Senators TODAY!

If you have any questions or would like assistance reaching out to your Senators, please contact the Advocacy Department at [email protected].

Thanks for the info. ZEN. I went to the web site and submitted my letter.

Count one in for South Dakota, I just sent it. Thanks Zen!

I went to the web site and sent my letter, too. I probably don't have an MND but as you suggested in your post, I was pro-active for all else.

Zaphoon

Jeff,

Thanks for reminder! DONE!

I hope others will click on your link to the Advocacy Action Center. It is so easy to send the letter to the reps! Include a picture if you have one!

My vote is in, too!
Lynn

I sent mine to both of my representatives.

I praised the Democrat who voted yes and voiced my disappointment to the Republican who voted no and urged him to change that vote.

Good work Jeff.

Great work, now pass it on. We need everyone we can get. Tell your neighbor, you mail carrier, the cashier at the grocery store or whoever walks by. If you see your state in the list below we need 5 or more of these people to vote Yes.

NAYs ---40
Alexander (R-TN)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Bennett (R-UT)
Bond (R-MO)
Brownback (R-KS)
Bunning (R-KY)
Burr (R-NC)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cochran (R-MS)
Collins (R-ME)
Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Craig (R-ID)
Crapo (R-ID)
DeMint (R-SC)
Domenici (R-NM)
Enzi (R-WY)
Graham (R-SC)
Grassley (R-IA)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hatch (R-UT)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Isakson (R-GA)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Lugar (R-IN)
Martinez (R-FL)
McConnell (R-KY)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Roberts (R-KS)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Snowe (R-ME)
Specter (R-PA)
Stevens (R-AK)
Thune (R-SD)
Vitter (R-LA)
Voinovich (R-OH)
Wicker (R-MS)

Not Voting - 8
Allard (R-CO)
Dole (R-NC)
Ensign (R-NV)
Hagel (R-NE)
Kennedy (D-MA)
McCain (R-AZ)
Obama (D-IL)
Sununu (R-NH)

hi zenarcher

i would vote if i could,that is if i was in the good old usa:lol:
i just wanted to wish you all the best with this and hope you win.
you have always been a good advocate for als.
keep up the good work.
take good care.
caroline:-D

my vote is in. thnks, :smile:

2 more for Ohio.

Hi Jeff~if both Senators have voted yes in the past, should I still send the letter?

I would recommend sending an email regardless of how they voted. There are prewritten letters on the website. If they voted yes last time it is a thank you and please do so again. If they voted no it is an explanation of what's at stake.

new york

Thanks for that last part Jeff, I saw New York was "ok" vote-wise and wouldn't have gone to the site otherwise, thinking it was just for letters to those who voted no. So sent thank you notes instead

Lydia

2 in MN

Sent two "thank you and vote yes again" to the MN senators!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back