Diagnosis
October 2006
Country
US
State
CO
City
Denver
(sorry for the intrusion my canadian PALS)

As Washington debates health care reform, I urge you to contact your house representative and senators. We need to spread the word about our medical needs (tragedies) and influence the debate. Below, I have included a copy of an email I sent. Please feel free to edit those things you don't agree with and add your own story.

Jim West

It is easy to contact them and send your comments:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

http://www.house.gov/htbin/zipfind

+++

Dear Senator Bennet,

My name is Jim West and I suffer from ALS. ALS is a terminal neuro-muscular disease. Although my current medical expenses are covered by my employer's insurance, the time is approaching where I will be completely disabled and using SSDI/Medicare leaving my wife and two sons without insurance. Medicare doesn't cover activities of daily living which can cost up to $6000 per month so I need my wife for my care; she can't get a job. I need a health care alternative that won't bankrupt my family so I can receive Medicaid benefits.

I urge you to include the following in new legislation.

Support idea that everyone in the United State will receive health coverage. This will drive the economy since entrepreneurs will establish medical clinics in areas that the newly insured live. As a bonus side effect, this will be in rural and inner city areas where investment and jobs are desperately needed.

Support a government plan. Insurers fear a government plan since Medicare has shown an ability to have low overhead and high customer satisfaction. Open up Medicare for all citizens. Everything is in place; no new program needed.

Eliminate pre-existing condition clauses. End the practice of searching for prior medical conditions to deny claims and drop coverage.

Reform malpractice law. I urge the creation of medical review boards to verify the validity of claims prior to court action.

The United States is the only major country that allows its citizens go bankrupt due to medical tragedies. I want and expect to pay what I can afford. However, I have been hit by my own personal Katrina. I need help. Create annual limit for each family and cover all medical expenses after that.

Thank you,

Jim West

Jim, thanks for posting the contact information and sharing your clear and very well-written letter. You're right: This is the time to speak up and be heard!

I hope all us US PALS and CALS get a message off.

We're all in this together Jim. No problem.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back