Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Seattle
Has anyone heard of acid reflux being one of the first signs of impending Bulbar ALS? It may sound like a dumb question, but just think about it. Acid reflux is caused when acid, rather then going down through the stomach, goes back up through the esophagus. It is done because of a muscle flap that does not function properly, allowing acid to travel back up, rather than down.

We all know that ALS weakens your muscles, and the ones in your throat are no exception. I believe that if this muscle flap is weak, it could cause the acid to travel back up, thus causing acid reflux. I think there is a strong correlation with acid reflux and ALS. I know that a lot of people get acid reflux and most of them do not have ALS. But turn that around.... a lot of people with ALS tend to have acid reflux. There has to be a connection.

No, there doesn't have to be a connection and there isn't.

I know multiple more people with it who don't have ALS and precious few who do have ALS.

Sorry to ruin your theory.

No, there doesn't have to be a connection and there isn't.

I know multiple more people with it who don't have ALS and precious few who do have ALS.

Sorry to ruin your theory.

This is one theory that I hope is false, but the idea is not so far fetched is it?

I don't think there is a connection either. My hubby has ALS with limb onset. He was DX 8/07 but his first symptom was the summer of 2005. He has had acid reflux (GERD) for at least 10 years. He STILL has no bulbar symptoms.

This theory would be those who get the bulbar version of ALS.

If it was the acid reflux would happen a long time after being diagnosed with ALS - not before.

Bulbar onset here and no acid reflux.

Please stop making such far-fetched statements with absolutely no scientific backing whatsoever. That is exactly how misinformation and crap gets circulated on the internet. As soon as you do a controlled study with conclusive evidence of your "theory" that is accepted by the scientific and medical communities, you just let us know.

I moved this thread to here because I don't want anyone to assume this is a symptom of ALS and become misinformed by seeing it in a discussion of ALS. .

I don't think its related.

I have been keeping acid reflux mostly in check for more than 20 years.
I have ALS symptoms almost 2 years with a diagnosed 9 mos ago.

I was diagnosed with reflux esophagitis due to a hiatus hernia nearly 30 years ago. I have dealt with various forms of acid-reflux problems successfully during that thirty years.

I was diagnosed with ALS -- limb-onset variety -- two years ago. First ALS symptoms were noticeable three years ago, but were believed to be carpal tunnel syndrome. I have no bulbar symptoms at all. My ALS-related problems are all from the shoulders down.

Your theory has some rather large holes in it.

My mother was diagnosed with bulbar als June 2006. Prior to her being diagnosed the doctor's were telling her that her problems were from acid reflux. Maybe there is some connection.

Anne

There is no "muscle flap" that doesn't function properly!

It is a sphincter at the end of the espohagus that keeps stomach contents in the stomach. The esophagus is smooth muscle- this is not innervated by motor neurons!

OK ... I slept in and have not had my coffee yet.

I just read :

this is not innervated by neutered morons

Oh .. its going to be a fun day ;)

Glen

Well I can't use the excuse that I slept in but, I thought the sphincter muscle was at the end of the intestine's. Whew! Gotta look that one up.:shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back