Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
Torrance
I just edited and posted my first YouTube video. Maybe some of you will find it useful. I kept it short at 3 minutes

This is so brilliant - thank you for sharing with us. Love your work!

Thanks for checking it out

That is amazing all the things that you made adaptable for yourself.

Effing wow! I'm inspired!

Thanks Nona, if there is anything I can give you details on so you can do more, just ask. I will try my best to help you

Jim, first I have to say that you are not "average Jim"! I have to say I learn something new from you every time you post about what you've done - this time, I learned that I need to get a switchbot in order to turn on my coffee machine.😊 I didn't know that such a thing existed.

Right now, I have a lot of voice control stuff in my house. It's nice to know that down the road, if/when I need it, I can use non-voice technology to run things.

Thanks for doing this!

Jim that is pretty cool 😎 .
We feel good just getting Alexa to do anything

Thanks. When you can't really move much, it's surprising how much being able to adjust my own position anytime I feel like has improved my life. I had my chair break once in the past 2 years. It was for 2 long days. Was horrible having to constantly ask for help, and in the middle of the night I couldn't move my position. Wasn't fun. Since then I have put together a spare chair with a diy smart control. I feel much better knowing that I won't have to lose my ability to move myself again. Every little bit of automation I can do gives me a little sliver of control back and does make things easier for those around me.

That is awesome. I am so impressed. You have done the best job I have ever seen at maximizing what technology has to offer to maintain control over the things that are still possible to control.

I know you are controlling things through head movement, but I also see your mouth opening. Are you using your voice or is it literally just your mouth opening that is triggering certain things?

I feel like I could learn a lot from you. I don't have the need for these devices at the moment (I am early into my disease course), but I'm the type who likes to plan ahead. If it weren't for Covid I would ask you if I could drive over to check out your system in person. But, we do have Covid, so I wont ask that favor right now. I will just thank you for posting this video, which I will save.

Thanks Eric. Yes for that particular android app (jabberwocky) it tracks head movements and then your mouth is for clicks and dragging, swipe and scroll. I also use some other applications for windows that track my head and use a dwell to click. You are welcome to come and check out stuff. But you are probably right that it is better when the pandemic calms down. I do have some n95's new you could wear if needed. Also still have the wheelchair taking up space ..

To clarify, it's literally the mouth open/close gesture. No voice or speaking is required

I've said this before but now I will shout it from the mountain top: YOU ARE AMAZING! (I won't reuse Jessie's adverb)

I plan to share this with my local ALS Assoc.

You will inspire many...so proud of your brilliance!!!

Wow! Too many compliments like that and my head is going to get too big and heavy to move! But in all seriousness, if any one has some semi tech savvy and handy friends or family around, making a smart recliner or any of the other stuff is totally doable for everyone. I can describe in more detail

This is so brilliant - thank you for sharing with us. Love your work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back