Not open for further replies.

Rach98

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hi everyone I’m really nervous I got my EMG back and it stated +1 poly in tricep. With everything else looking normal. Only 24. EMG results attached

Attachments

• EB538B97-85C7-4D93-9FED-67F1382C11B7.jpeg
    EB538B97-85C7-4D93-9FED-67F1382C11B7.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 01311709-C56E-47E7-956F-7ED07C883D82.jpeg
    01311709-C56E-47E7-956F-7ED07C883D82.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 183
Hi there-

There would have been a summary included with this that would outline what your results mean. What did it say?

1+ (the lowest level of finding) polyphasic potentials in one muscle is nothing to hit the panic button over. The EMG does not support either acute or chronic denervation, as must both be present in multiple regions, along with various clinical findings, to diagnose ALS. This result suggests at worst an old injury or benign oddity to do with that muscle.

Follow up with your neurologist, but the excellent news is that you don't belong here.

That looks like a good EMG result. As noted, you should have a summary and you need to discuss with your doctor. No need for any panic buttons however.

It freaks me out bc I have 3 beats of clonus on one ankle and 4 on the other. And brisk reflexes and positive Hoffmann on both.

6 beats of clonus or less is considered normal variant. 15% of the healthy populations have bilateral Hoffman’s and brisk reflexes are also common especially if you are worried I would guess your doctor wasn’t worried either

Rach, what did your Summary/Conclusion say at the bottom of the report?

(As our Moderator ShiftKicker asked.)

That will answer your concerns the best.

You really can only now do this with your doctor, you are driving yourself into a dark rabbit hole without reason.

24 female and neuro stated I have +3 brisk reflexes and positive Hoffman bilateral and couple beats of clonus and I’m really scared this is all leading to the bad stuff. I had a EMG on just my left arm that only showed +1 poly in tricep area. I’m freaking out that I have als or pals

Hi Rachel- I moved your post to your already open thread to keep the discussion in one place. Please keep posting here.

Please go talk to your neurologist about your fears so they can talk to you in the context of your clinical exam and test results.

Does it look like pls or als to you?

Rachel-

Please visit with your neurologist to ask specifics about your test results. They conducted them and a provided at least one clinical exam and are best positioned to provide you with feedback. If they say it's not MND, no one here would contradict that.

Please don't ask us any more questions unless you will answer ones we ask.
See your doctor, we can't do anything more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back