Diagnosis
11/2009
Country
US
State
Alaska
City
Wasilla
For years I have had occasional spasms in my abdominal area that have been complicated with severe pain of adhesions from multiple surgeries. But for about a month now, I have been having the muscles of my abdomen all the sudden stiffen up to the point that its like I am pregnant and in labor. They become rigid and extended and all I can do is try to keep calm and breath through the discomfort, much like being in labor. There has also been an increase in twitching or buzzing in those muscles, but not in all of them at once like the cramps do.

Anyone else experience this?

I have been getting similar belly spasms Joyce. They really hurt like heck.
In my case, they're provoked by turning the wrong way, or, most often, trying too hard in the bathroom - especially then! ( sorry for sharing that!) I can actually see a ropy type muscle tensing and either denting or protruding. It looks really weird - and feels like a tourniquet being tightened.

My episodes are increasing in frequency lately, and like you, I breathe through it. The twitches are on one side ( right now), but also feel "deeper" in my belly. They're not often visible on the surface of my Buddha belly.

Thankfully, it doesn't last long. :-o

For years I have had occasional spasms in my abdominal area that have been complicated with severe pain of adhesions from multiple surgeries. But for about a month now, I have been having the muscles of my abdomen all the sudden stiffen up to the point that its like I am pregnant and in labor. They become rigid and extended and all I can do is try to keep calm and breath through the discomfort, much like being in labor. There has also been an increase in twitching or buzzing in those muscles, but not in all of them at once like the cramps do.

Anyone else experience this?

I have experienced these painful belly cramps but, they only happen if I try to cough hard.
The sensation of a sharp knife going through my the muscles of my belly.
They usually calm if I lay down.
Probably need a medication for these belly cramps.
I have ALS Clinic this May 29. Will ask my Neuro why these cramps happen and how to alleviate them either by medication or using some technique.

Will keep you posted when I find out.

NH

Thanks Elaine and NH. I have had the ones that feel like either an intestine or single muscle deep inside is twisting or rolling over. Those are the most painful ones because of all the adhiesions. But the ones I have been getting lately that do not go away are like all the the muscles between my lower rib cage and pelvic bones are tight and in a constant spasm. It's uncomfortable. Just like all the leg and ARM muscle have been doing. When I take the baclofen, it does reduce it. There are times when its not bothering me so much, then like last night, I get in bed and strain to get my legs onto the bed, then wham! My whole adominal extends out into a hard ball and I look 9 months pregnant and feel like I am having a strong contraction involving all the muscles there. Again this hard ball type will eventually go down, but I am left with the slight spasticity feeling once again that doesn't go away.

I do not know why I am surprised by this being a PLS type of thing, but it really is annoying!

I dont think its a direct pls/mnd symptom but rather a secondary thing due to slowing down of the bodys system.
When we slow down due to mobility problems it effects the digestive system and it too slows down.
Food takes longer to digest in the stomach and move through the body......this leads to stomach/intestine cramps ,bloating and contipation.

I had severe upper abdominal cramps due to stomach not emptying,i was given a specific antispasmodic med that targeted the stomach muscles inside.
Sometimes i can look pregnant lol with the bloating.

There is a main nerve that runs from the brain into the stomach,for some reason with neurological illnesses this can be effected.

I had unbelievably strong abdominal cramps in the early years of my PLS. It usually lasted about 5-15 minutes. A few of them put me on the floor. I could see my stomach muscles bunched up for an hour or more after the cramp went away. I haven't had one in years. I also had other weird symptoms as my body adjusted to the disease. I suspect they will eventually subside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back