Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
City
Glasgow
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what to expect with an electromyography and nerve study tests, I have been having problems for over a year now and was referred to a neurologist last September,

I've had 3 sets of blood tests, chest x ray, neck and spine xray, 2 x mri of head and neck which showed a small brain tumour. I thought the tumour was the cause of my problems which have been getting worse and worse. But after seeing the neurologist last week she said the tumour needed to be set aside for now as its not the cause of my issues. She has now arranged for me to have more blood tests, electromyography and nerve tests. She wouldn't say why but said they had to be done urgently as my condition has deteriorated, which I already knew. She has also organised genetic testing for me as well.

My brother thinks I'm being tested for als and I have to admit I think so too. I suppose my question is, if it is als will they tell me on the day of the electromyography thing? I'm trying not to worry but it's difficult as I thought the tumour was the cause and could be fixed. I've gone from being prepared to have my brain operated on to this possibility in the space of a week and it's a bit of a shocker really.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel quite silly now having been worried about having my head shaved for surgery. I would happily sacrifice all my hair for this to just be a bad dream. Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Lassie, sorry for your troubles. You do not mention what your problems are, so it is hard to opine as regards the possibility of ALS. But bear in mind, there are many muscle/nerve disorders that sit between ALS and a brain tumour.

In the UK, my guess would be that you would not be told one way or another on the day of testing. We have members here with more UK experience that I am sure will have more to say on that.

Best,
Laurie

whether you will get results from the examiner depends on policy but I think Laurie is correct that in the UK you probably won’t get results. I am in the US but my family is in the UK.

what kind of genetic testing are they doing?

Can you describe your symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back