Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Sandy Springs
Any tips out there regarding pulling up one's pants? tried the search function but no luck. wife is exceptionally helpful but it gives me fits when she is away from the house. i now dress in nylon, elastic-waist pants but now even have trouble pulling them up.

Don't know but let me know when you find a solution as this drives me nuts as well...

One of our late members recommended attaching a narrow cord of some kind from side to side. Then you can hook your better hand through and pull up. If you can reach you could do front and back.

Thank you Helen- miss you

Pain in the butt for me too. I've switched to running pants and running shorts too. It is what it is. I ordered this gadget on the internet called a "dressing stick". It's about 18 inches long with a simple hook on one end and two other types of claw type hooks on the other end. Totally worthless. The diameter of the stick is maybe an inch. I can't grasp it with enough force to use it.

I did buy a 24 inch shoe horn that is great. Just wish there was a way to grab the tongue on my tennis shoes because they inevitably slide down when I put them on. So, once again I mostly wear slip ons now unless my wife is there to help me with my tennis shoes. Every once and a while I'd like to dress normal. A pair of jeans, a button down Oxford shirt and my Nikes. Adapt, adapt, adapt. Screw it.

Vince

If it is fingers not having leverage, a sewn in loop could help.

There are also side snap/side zip pants. Larry used the side snap (just at the top part) for a while by himself, since they were knit pants that fell down to the bottom of his legs. No elastic at the bottom, but elastic at the waist.

Steve switched to the elastic pants/shorts early on. He couldnt manipulare the buttons or snaps. If the issue is dexterity, loops would help. I got steve a size larger for comfort and it allowed him to still dress himself.

I wear elastic-waisted pants, too.

I no longer stand so I sit on the john and pull them up. The slick seat makes it a bit easier.

I bought Steve several pairs of elastic waisted pj pants that look good and long sleeve tee shirts to match as well as elastic waisted joggers. He can't pull up regular pants but can pull these up right now.

I recently switched to dresses due to this problem, in spite of my wasted legs and swollen purple feet, which I used to hide at all costs, but I guess that's not an option for the guys!! I've had to buy whole new wardrobes through the various stages of this disease! I appreciate the tips, maybe I can hold on to a couple of pants!

Suspenders are another option for those with arm and hand weakness. Like loops sewn or pinned inside the waist band, suspenders replace hand strength and probably further reduce the need for arm strength over loops. And they can be plain or fancy.

Once you are using a wheelchair and not getting out of it in public, the solution for not being able to pull your pants up is simple. Don't pull them down and you won't have to pull them up! Wear open back pants and no underwear. Put a hand towel on your wheelchair seat. If you don't stand up in public, no one can tell that you are wearing adapted pants. And you can adapt your current pants and jeans with a pair of scissors. The best thing since sliced bread is sliced bread is sliced pants!
Diane
ALS From Both Sides: Adaptive Slacks for Easy Toileting

GREAT idea!!!! Love the humor!

When my pals could no longer pull up his pants I went everywhere with him (sounds like you can't) including into public restrooms--after asking someone to guard the door and pull them up for him. Eventually I bought the open back pants and side snap pants.

Before when he still had hand strength but not finger strength he bought rings like you put keys on and attached them to his jeans zippers. That gave him independence to zip himself.

Sherry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back