A sling for freestanding overhead lift system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolSue

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
01/2016
Country
US
State
Kansas
City
Middle America
I have an overhead freestanding lift system. As it turns out it is too big for the bedroom at 11.5 ft. long. The problem is that the feet/legs are 4 ft wide and no matter where we put it, it will block a doorway. We've decided to cut it down and reassemble a shorter length for our bedroom and the piece that we cut out hope to make a short ceiling mounted track that goes from the toilet to shower in my bathroom. Keeping our fingers crossed it will work.

My question is, I will need a sling to get out of bed. do you put this underneath your body move from bed to chair and then sit on it all day? Is this same sling used for toileting? Not sure if I'm getting how all this is going to work. :???:

Thanks for any advice on slings and ceiling lifts!
:):):)

Carolsue

A toileting (split leg/U Sling) is the easiest to get underneath you because it doesn't go under your butt. It goes behind your back and the wide leg straps wrap around your upper thighs. It can be put on and taken off while you are in bed or up in your chair. You can leave it in place comfortably all day if you slide the leg straps out from under your thighs. However, it is so easy to take off and put back on that I only leave it on when I have a caregiver who isn't familiar with it or think I may need to use the toilet rather urgently that day.

IMG_2241.jpg
Here is the sling we use. They lean me forward in chair or bed and slip it behind me for transfer. I usually sleep on it, but it is removed in the chair. I believe slings work on different hoyers

View attachment 9435
Here is the sling we use. They lean me forward in chair or bed and slip it behind me for transfer. I usually sleep on it, but it is removed in the chair. I believe slings work on different hoyers

I have a question for AZgirl.....how on earth do yo keep your feet/ankles from swelling??? I miss my slender/normal feet!!!

Carolsue

That is my sister in the sling the day they decided to hoist me into jacuzzi, made her try it first. I do have swelling that is managed by elevating feet in bed, massage and the water pressure in pool worked wonders. Adjustable bed really helps

I have 2 slings that I use. I have a mesh sling that I use for showering and general transfers and a hygienic sling that is used for toileting. We put the sling on when transferring and take it off when complete. I have seen people that sit in their sling in the wheelchair.
Matt

It is generally best for the skin not to sit or lie on the sling. As Diane says, a U sling can be put on quickly in the chair when the need arises. Bed setups and ability to roll PALS are different. If someone can't be rolled left and right to apply the sling, a pivot turn to sit the PALS up to apply the sling can be considered, e.g. by using a slip sheet with handles that stays under the bottom sheet.

I have a sure hands system that works great for toileting. There are options for mesh and hygiene harnesses but so far I have enough strength in my torso to manage the regular harness. (Do a search on YouTube on sure hands and you will see what it looks like . If I am really tired or urgently need to go, I use a female urinal which takes a bit to get the hang of. Also if I have to pee in the middle of the night, we use the lift to pick me up and then my husband lowers me on the commode chair bucket. We use liners that turn the urine to gel so it doesn't spill.

aren't you worried about the integrity of the lift if you cut it? Could you move the bed to a different room?

mtoole - what brand of hygienic sling do you use?

Last edited:
I use the arjohuntleigh toilet loop sling with head support, see link below. It works well for me. I have an arjohuntleigh ceiling lift.

Toilet Loop Sling with Head Support - ArjoHuntleigh

My mesh sling is a Liko. I wanted to try the Liko hygienic/toileting sling but could not justify the extra cost since the arjohuntleigh sling currently works fine.

Matt

As far as damaging the track, it would be shortened on the very end. When it is disassembled the track detaches from the post.
So remove 4 ft from the very end and reattach to the post. My son is a welder so I'm really not too concerned, it will be sturdy or I won't do it.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back