Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
My mom has ALS (Bulbar onset) and is declining fairly rapidly since her move to Colorado Springs. We will have hopice set up. I guess I'm wanting more informaiton--Information makes me calm! We will have that "talk" in a week when I visit, the talk about what to do when she is unable to do anything, she is 73, on Bi-Pap and wihtout it her oxygen is below 85%, she has use of her right arm and has been on a feeding tube for over a year. I don't want to be intrusive but it helps me prepare with stories on how others have passed. If my mom choose to go off the bi-pap what might we expect, or the feeding tube. I can tell my mom is very tired, she is losing energy and sleeps much of the time. At some point, maybe when she can't communicate at all she will want to hasten the process....any stories are apprecaited...again not to be intrusive but I want to help my mom go through this...she can still write so will ask for what she wants us to do if she can't or when is it enough. Hearing about the range of experiences does help, I'm sorry to ask and hope that you only respond if it brings comfort to you too--to share the experience.

Search the archives for some discussions on this topic. Sorry I can't recall name of thread. Annie'sPhil and Atsugi as well as others shared what it was like for their PALS at the end

Your mother probably will not need to go off of the BiPap or the feeding tube. The end will come even with the assistance of these machines. For my husband, Terry, it came very quickly and unexpectedly. He woke up in a great mood. It had been a good weekend with friends and family visiting, cooking out and swimming. The Dallas Cowboys had been on the night before. The precious 3 year old neighbor came over and showed him her new dance. Terry was "chatty" (he used a dynavox). Our CNA came to help me get him up. Without warning, he couldn't quite catch his breath. He typed into his dynavox that we had better call 911. We called and then sat with him and talked quietly to help him stay calm. As the EMTs walked into the house, he took his last breath. None of us realized that it was happening. It was the most peaceful, gently passing your could imagine. There was no fear on his part, no pain, just a calmness. His last breath was no more than 10 minutes from the time he suggested we call 911.

He was wearing his BiPap.

Thank you Miss, I appreciate the story, and it sounds like your husband had a peaceful passing, of course that is what I hope for all PALS, it's such a devastating disease it is comforting to know that passing can be peaceful --I have read about air hunger and panic for which they have medication but wasn't sure how this would work....thank you for sharing ...momap53, I did look for the stories of the folks you mentioned, haven't found them yet but will keep looking. On one of the other posts the mention a "wish I had known" I searched for that too couldn't find it, I keep thinking I want to tell folks what I wish I had known....this forum is really amazing for that reason, i have learned more from PALS and CALS than anywhere else. Thank you!

Mom only had Hospice for about three weeks before she passed away, and she only had the feeding tube twelve days. Her progression of ALS was very fast. She was diagnosed in September(ish) and died in March. Her death was very unexpected. My dad said, "Elaine was happy until the day she died. We thought she was going to last a long, long time. She started feeling a lot better with the feeding tube. She went down so fast; we did not have a clue. We were planning on things months down the road." He also stressed you should not put something off whether it be discussions, decisions, or major things. Don’t put faith in the doctor’s time frame. They just don’t know. God is the only one who truly knows.

Mom did not use a BiPap machine. She could communicate until the day she died. I had to put my ear to her mouth the day she died and still could not understand her. As she struggled to breathe, she wanted us to sit her up and hang her feet over the bed while she leaned forward. For some reason this helped her?

Her Sunday school class came over to sing and pray for her the day she died. She was struggling to breathe that day, and they asked her if they should just pray and she "said" yes. She started lifting her eyebrows to answer "yes." They gathered around and held hands as they prayed. I was kneeling down beside her bed, and she gave me the look that she needed help to breathe, so I leaned her forward. They left and I asked Mom if she wanted some Morphine to help her, and she lifted her eyebrows.

I wanted to go get something to eat and come right back and Mom did not want me to leave. Dad was there and told her I needed a break. She lifted her eyebrows. He gave her the Morphine, and I was only gone fifteen minutes. When I came back she was asleep.

My dad took my kids to the fair in town that afternoon. While they were gone and Mom was asleep, I was sitting by her side when I heard a gurgling noise coming from her and knew she was taking her last breath. I knew her Five Wishes and knew she was DNR. Just that morning Dad told me not to call 911 if she passed away but to call Hospice. She never woke up and passed away in her sleep. It was difficult for me to go through, but I actually smiled because I knew she had asked Jesus into her heart as her personal Lord and Savior, so I knew she was in Heaven.

You are doing well to seek out things ahead of time. There is so much to learn even concerning children and how to handle tough situations. We had to decide if we wanted to let the kids see her when they got home after she passed away. My daughter was 11 and my son was 7. When I asked them, they both wanted to see her. My son sat in a chair and poured his heart out to her. Also, the primary caregiver needs to make sure whoever is watching them while they are gone knows how to use the equipment, what it is used for, about their meds, their Five Wishes etc. If you want to read what I learned you can go to my thread "a blanket of snow." I wrote down a journal and ask important questions to help you learn through "our journey" of ALS. The threads are the older ones though. Right now I am posting other deaths I have been through after she passed away.

The last thing I can say is I would do it all over again to have her here with me. The road is tough and exhausting. Enjoy each day and moment you have with her:) You are doing a great job of thinking ahead! The little details also make it a lot smoother. Blessings! ~ Judy

Thank you all for sharing your stories with us. I am praying I pass peacefully. This site is so helpful to me and I have learned so much.

MLOx,
I found two of the threads momap53 may have been referring to. I don't know how to post links to them, so just type the titles into the search box. "Update on PALS Krissy", and "My young spouse has ALS, whats next?". I hope they are helpful to you in navigating this part of the journey.

Laura

My father passed away this morning. He was sleeping a lot the past week and was agitated when he was awake the last the 24 hours (including wanting to sit up, lay down, sit up). Morphine and an anti-anxiety med provided by hospice calmed him. The last few hours were fairly distressing for us because we didn't know if his new state of total weakness and bowel and bladder incontinence was yet another new normal for him or whether it was the end. The meds kept him asleep through the last few hours so it was only us in distress, not him. His primary wish was to be free of pain and we used the meds to fulfill that wish. The hospice nurse took care of everything and stayed with us until the funeral home took him away. We only engaged hospice 4 days ago - not a moment too soon.

Sharlene--I am so sorry!

My husband was on hospice at home for 24 hours. He had been in the VA Hospital for 12 days with his fourth bout of aspiration pneumonia. We came home in an ambulance on Good Friday and I had the comfort kit in the refrigerator from the Palliative Doctor at the hospital. On Easter, I tried to get him to eat a deviled egg but he told me he'd eat it later. He could still drink a little Pepsi and he would swallow a little applesauce.

When he completely stopped eating, he never had the feeding tube, I knew the end was near. I started morphine on Sunday night, he was very agitated on Monday and would not keep the bi-pap on for any period, and by that night I knew he was ending his journey. Atropine drops and morphine were distributed by me. He stopped talking Monday afternoon but we clustered around him talking to him and rubbing his cold feet and I was holding his hand. The hospice nurse did not stay after I signed the paperwork which I did not appreciate. Even though the social worker and chaplain came to speak to us from hospice. By Tuesday, he was not aware of his surroundings and breathing hard all day. The hospice CNA helped me bathe him that afternoon. He passed away on a Tuesday night surrounded by his family.

Losing my husband to ALS was hardest thing I have ever experienced and I will miss him every day of my life.

Oh Sharlene, I am so very sorry. I know what a good daughter you have been to your family and especially your dad. I am happy he went peacefully and I hope you can now find some peace of your own. Peace be with you my friend.

Amy

Thank you all for sharing your stories, I think just hearing about some of the possibabilities is helpful for me to think how best to support my mom-- and the range of moods/challenges that might occur. I'm sorry for all your losses, and Sharlene I'm so sorry for your loss today... I'm sure this is a difficult time-- I greatly appreciate your story, ESP on the medication issue because that is my biggest worry - mom does not like to take meds -- nor does she drink or smoke and so this might feel scary for her-- what to expect from meds. Thank you all again for your stories. Monica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back