Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Devon
City
Barnstaple
Hi everyone, I've posted here before, and so far have received a unanimous "no ALS" from everyone that's commented - a good sign I believe :)

Anyway, I recently underwent a thorough neurological exam from my GP, testing balance, reflexes, babinski, etc. and there were no abnormalities at all. No positive babinski sign, good balance and responsive (but not brisk) reflexes. She said that we can basically rule out ALS as a possibility because of this.

So, am I right in thinking that if ALS or some form of MND were the problem, that SOMETHING would have cropped up during the examination? I feel that having good reflexes and no babinski is pretty much a definite no ALS for me. Am I right in this assumption?

Thanks for reading, any feedback would be appreciated :)

So, am I right in thinking that if ALS or some form of MND were the problem, that SOMETHING would have cropped up during the examination? I feel that having good reflexes and no babinski is pretty much a definite no ALS for me. Am I right in this assumption?

Isn't that what your doctor said?

Anyway, I recently underwent a thorough neurological exam from my GP, testing balance, reflexes, babinski, etc. and there were no abnormalities at all. No positive babinski sign, good balance and responsive (but not brisk) reflexes. She said that we can basically rule out ALS as a possibility because of this.

Yes, if you'd had ALS, "something" would have shown up during the examination. Clinical weakness, spasticity, reflex problems, etc.

Congratulations. You don't have ALS.

hi champstead . . To me the point you should of stopped worrying is the bit where your doctor said "we can rule out als " this is not meant to be sarcastic its genuinely what i think . . Regarding your question about neuro examination i think its a bit like this . . (tryfogy please feel free to correct me if i am wrong )Although mnd /als is regarded as difficult to diagnose i would imagine that every pal on here had a red flag that was tell tale on initial neuro examination . . This usually comes in the form of change in upper motor neuron damage signs like a present babinski sign or spasicity or lower motor neuron damage sign like fasciculation accompanied by weakness . . these are things that a neuro just does not miss . . And for them to go as far as saying they can rule it out is good news . . Obviously this does not mean something is not happening but you should stop worrying about als . . Good luck and god bless . . Alex :)

Hmmm....
Unfortunately for you we cannot talk your body into having ALS. You do seem to want to have it so much.

Take a deep breath and get off of here.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I know that I'm most likely wasting people's time with a trivial problem, but any advice and information does help in believing in the results of this test. Due to some behavioural / cognitive changes that I've experienced, I'm tempted to believe that I'm suffering from some sort of anxiety/depression or something unrelated to ALS, but with some similar symptoms.

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for being slightly illogical in my posting :)

I would definitely follow up with your doctor about your anxiety concerns. It is obvious that you do not have ALS if that does not help your "depression" then you definitely need some help handling your anxiety / depression issues. Nothing wrong with that and admitting it is an issue is commendable! Good luck!

You live in a lovely part of the world with great scenery on the doorstep. Imagine if you had MND, you could not get out to appreciate the beauty. This could be a wake up call to be grateful for what you have and get out and sieze the moment.

Best wishes

Graham

Ted - Thank you, although I think it's much more commendable to have ALS and not panic about than it is to NOT have ALS and panic about it anyway! I am starting to follow up on my anxiety problems though (hopefully that really is the case), and am going to see a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist to see if that can turn things around... for the mean time I suppose I should take Graham's advice and make the most of whatever I can. I would hate to find out I DID have something physically debilitating, and had spent my time moping around the house when I could have been out enjoying myself while I still could :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back