Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CO
City
Denver
I browsed the forum for a little while today and want to say thanks to everyone who contributes to helping others out.

My situation: I've been under a lot of stress lately and had been getting tension headaches over the past few weeks. I recently noticed a change in vision and went to the optometrist to have them take a look. Everything turned out fine, but I was still getting the headaches until about a week ago. The headaches then stopped, and soon after, I started getting symptoms that have me concerned. It started with some "weakness" in my left thumb (with some pain when it moves certain directions) as well as what feels like weakness in my left arm. This has been going on for almost a week now. In addition to the left thumb and arm, whenever I left or carry anything, the back of my neck, shoulders and arms feel like they are burning (like when you do a lot of reps at the gym), however, this happens carrying light things for a short amount of time. This happens on both sides of my body, and my neck, shoulders, and arms get very fatigued, to the point where I don't feel like I have any strength left. This will also happen on both sides of my jaw if I eat something very chewy. If I rest for a while (maybe 30 minutes or so), the muscle fatigue starts to diminish and I begin to feel normal again, however, I always feel like my left arm and thumb are constantly weak. I went to my PCP and Chiropractor and when they did basic strength tests, everything was normal with both arms and hands. Also, at first my Chiropractor thought my bicep reflex was a little stronger in my left than right, but did them again and it came out pretty much the same. With my thumb, I sometimes feel a little uncoordinated with it, but sometimes it feels ok. I'm also getting strange sensations in my upper left arm (lower deltoid area) - kind of feels like a spasm in my arm.

Does this at all sound like ALS or some kind of MND? I have a referral to a neurologist, but it's going to take about a week before I can schedule an appointment, and obviously I'm a little stressed as all of these symptoms came on suddenly.

I apologize for the long story, but thank you taking the time to read and for your input.

Surfer, none of this sounds like ALS at all. You described a lot of feelings, headaches, strange sensations, pain, and fatigue. And from what I read, your "weakness" is not a paralyzed muscle laying limp and useless.

ALS doesn't have all those sensory feelings, pain and aches and fatigue or sensations of weakness. The hallmark of ALS is a muscle that doesn't work; a hand or foot muscle that just doesn't contract. There's no feeling at all about it. This "clinical weakness" is profound and easily detected. You fall over, or drop a cup, or can't button a shirt.

Read the Sticky post at the top of this forum titled, New Members, Please Read Before Posting to get a more detailed explanation.

ALS, it is not.

Atsugi,

Thanks for the response. I read the New Members posting and do have one question: My PCP prescribed me Lexapro and I took the first dose yesterday evening (they think some of my symptoms could be anxiety related). All day yesterday, it was my left side that I was concerned about and my right side was absolutely fine. Before I went to bed, I noticed some weakness in my right pinky (this had been fine up to this point), and I woke up in the middle of the night, got up and almost dropped my phone because of the weakness in my pinky. I did a "self test" this morning and my right pinky is significantly weaker than the left. I wanted to see if this could potentially be a side effect of the medication, and when they talk about muscle weakness, is this the kind of weakness they mean, or would my pinky be completely non-functional when it comes to ALS symptoms?

Thanks again for your time and input.

Hi Surfer,

Well, possibly your weakness is severe, I can't really tell over the Internet.

There are many things this could be. But we only discuss ALS on this forum (we know it well) and we shy away from diagnosing anything else. At this point I'd say you have nothing to worry about. Probably a pinched nerve.

Your PCP could evaluate your finger and investigate the many things that might be causing this. She would have to rule out literally hundreds of conditions before worrying about ALS. It is a rare disease, and a weak finger is a common complaint. Don't jump from a common symptom to a rare disease.

Your age would be a factor. ALS is REALLY rare in people who are in their 20s. It's an old person's disease.

Don't sweat ALS until a neurologist who specializes in Motor Neuron Diseases suspects it.

Good luck.
--Mike

Thanks Mike - I appreciate the response. I'm going to let my PCP know about my symptoms and I have a Chiropractic appointment today and will let them know as well. Also, not that it matters too much, but I'm in my early 30's, but I know that ALS is still rare.

I appreciate your commitment to this forum and thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back