Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Cleveland
Good morning, I have read the thread and expect to get a lot of its not ALS responses but I just want a little advice. I'm 25 years old. This past year has been pretty hectic for me health wise. I suffer from anxiety and I am a hypochondriac and working on getting put on meds. It all started a few months ago when I developed a small case of shingles on my abdomen I freaked out because I never heard any of my friends/people my age getting shingles. I started questoning if I had an underlying illness that caused it besides stress. Turned out I have hashimotos of the thyroid (which I am currently on levothyroxine). From there I am real sensitive to cold, tingling in my hands,arms,and legs occasionally, and a slight tremor in my hands. So with me going on the Internet per usual I came across MS and started freaking out. I went to see a neuro from the Cleveland clinic and he told me MS was not impossible but almost on the back of his list he told me I could have side effects from the thyroid drug/thyroid. He told me to get on an anxiety pill and see him in a year. Basically brushed me off by being nice. Couple weeks went by and I started feelings like I had a spiderweb sensation on my ear but nothing was there. Also I developed a constant twitch you could see underneath the skin on my deltoid. I always stay hydrated so I know it wasn't that and started freaking out when I saw ALS/twitches. So I went and got a 2nd opinion from another neuro through the Cleveland clinic much nicer guy and more caring. I passed both neuro's exams btw. I told him about my concern with twitching and ALS and he told me he's diagnosed individuals with ALS and he doesn't think this is it, he did find my vitamin b12 was on the low side of normal and my vitamin d was low at 12. He wants me to follow back up with him in 3 months and doesn't feel an mri or emg is needed cause I have no atrophy or weakness, but I keep trying to push an emg to ease my mind. My current symptoms as of today are I wake up in the am with a slight headache and feel shaky that goes away when I am actually up, tingling here and there in legs and hands, the twitching in the deltoid finally went away after 5 days but now I get it in my legs,arms,abdomen,and right temple the temple is more effected, muscles seem tight in my arms frequently. I just see all these post with twitching, headaches in the morning, muscle tightness. I guess as far as advice I just want to know does any of this sound like it could be ALS in the works, should I stop nagging the neuro and just let it be and stop pushing for an emg? Please don't judge me.

Twitching means nothing... Honestly I wouldn't worry about ALS unless something becomes weak or stops working. I don't see anything that would make me concerned about ALS.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thank you

ALS is like a dog with rabies, their is no reason to even think about it until it bites you.
Al

Thanks for that Al. I literally have been going crazy thinking about it. I know it's extremely rare for my age, I don't have a family history of it, I still can exercise normal lift max weights. No weakness to me or my neuro. Probably just anxiety. I just needed some people to vent to about this other then a therapist.

Yea Dan I would suggest you try and forget about being sick and enjoy life. I have ALS and that is what I do, I try not to think about the dog at all.
Al

I'm sorry you have this terrible disease I hope and pray every day for a cure for it. And my girlfriends little brother who is 9 and has friedrichs ataxia I pray for him too. But I do agree with you one day at a time. My doctor tells me anxiety and stress can do weird things to the body

Just an update so still dealing with the twitching (arms,bicepts,abdomen,ankles,calves,temple). I get these random pins and needles in random parts of my arms legs and feet (I know that points away from als) my legs and arms get tired quicker then they use to and feel like jello. I still keep trying to push an emg with my neuro but he's real hesitant because I don't show signs of weakness or atrophy. I feel my bicept has atrophy but drs tell me know my dominant bicept is smaller then my non dominant but my arm is still bigger then the non dominant. I'm so scared I have als I don't know what to do.

Dan,
Have you thought about a counsellor? I understand anxiety about your health can be a seriously stressful thing. I'm sure your doctors are proceeding as best they can. It MIGHT be a good idea for you to ask them what their thoughts are, rather than googling.... Just sayin'...

Angie

Yes I understand what you mean. To answer your question I just started taking Prozac for anxiety I know it's gunna take some time. I am at my 2nd neurologist now and he's a nice guy but he feels since I passed a neurological exam and don't have seen weakness in a limb or atrophy that no other tests are needed unless one of those 2 things happen. And to follow up in 3 months. I just Google after I started having the twitches and it made my anxiety skyrocket.

Continue taking your meds, find a good therapist for your anxiety and stay off Google and ALS forums. Reading up on symptoms of a terminal disease and trying to match them to what's going on will only increase your anxiety as you've found.

Dan,
You've read the threads? You've come to a decision that 2 neurologists and a GP aren't right, and that by comparing yourself to people who have posted here, you THINK you have ALS? Get off your computer..... stop asking Dr. Google stuff, and go live your life!! Sorry if that's a bit blunt, but, everybody twitches..... you're just noticing it, 'cause you're LOOKING for it..... A thought.... when you start feeling anxious, take a long walk..... the fresh air and exercise can't hurt.... Go back as requested.... Do something nice for a stranger.....make the world a better place!

You guys are probably right at 25 years old maybe and hopefully it's all in my head. Thanks for the responses

Ok so I am not trying to get on anyone's nerves here. I just want an opinion on what should I do. So I am at the point now where I am taking my anxiety meds. Taking my vitamins and magnesium. The only thing wrong with me physically is the twitching in my legs and pretty much random spots but mostly in my calves,ankles,ankles temple. I got MS ruled out with a brain mri. I know everyone here who responded to my post said twitching alone is not point directly to als. My question is I've been twitching for over a month now. Would I notice any other symptoms by now. Would something pop up in the neurological exam that I passed. I've had numerous tests to see what could cause this and my doctors are stumped but won't do an emg without clinical weakness or atrophy but I feel like clinical weakness to me is my legs feeling rubbery and cramping. I know everyone is probably fed up with me but after this question I won't post anymore. I am sorry.

I'm just nervous because I didn't have these symptoms before I stay in tune with my body and the twitching is constant I feel them and see them moving arouND constantly and it worries me more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back