Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Hello everyone,

My name is David and I am a 25 year old graduate student at Umass Boston, studying politics. I have been having some troubling symptoms lately and would really appreciate any words of wisdom from you guys. I have been experiencing some pretty severe lower back pain that is transient, sometimes it is so bad that I cannot get up while other times I feel great. I am also having some left hip trouble, sometimes when I stand up it feels like my hip is going to give out and I feel great pain causing me to limp when I walk. I also have been feeling a soreness in my calf muscles and in the back and front of my thigh and feel a burning sensation when I try and contract them. I have also been having muscle twitches in both of my legs and feet, sometimes they feel more than spams than twitchs though...are these symptoms something that is suggestive of ALS, I have really become scared it might be.

Thanks a lot everyone for taking the time to read this, I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season :smile:

Cheers,

David

David,

This does not sound at all like ALS. There is a sticky at the top of the "Do I have ALS" section that talks about symptoms etc. My advice to you is get to a Dr. You could have an issue in your back or hip and it is most likely very treatable. I highly doubt based on what you described that you have ALS.

Merry Christmas!

Hi David, I had a problem that sounds some what like you have, a sciatic nerve, put me in the hospital years back, some times the burn would start in the hip and go all the way to the little toe, the hip going out all the symptoms you have posted are what I experienced with my sciatic nerve, the only relief I got was when I went to a chiropractor, I don't know what your thoughts are about them, but I swear by them, but if you see one, ask friends who they might see, But wait untill you have all your test done for ALS first, some doctors like chiro's some don't, so don't let them sway your decision. Good Luck & Merry Christmas!

David:
I've had lower back problems since I was about your age (25 years ago - yikes, I'm old!). None of it had/has anything to do with ALS. Sciatica and lumbar nerve impingement commonly cause some or all of the symptoms you describe. Hurts like crazy, if it's bad; but bad backs are a dime-a-dozen and the root cause is virtually always something other than a scary terminal disease. Strains and injuries, disc problems, congenital issues affecting your spine; all are far more likely the cause of your misery.

See your GP or limp over to the UMASS clinic. ;-) A simple physical exam, plus maybe an X-ray or MRI, will usually tell the tale.

Happy holidays and good luck with your grad studies.

Thank you all for your input and wisdom :) I think you are all right, I am perhaps over stressing and dwelling...google has done me little service in that regard!

I really appreciate the time you all took in responding to my worries, this forum is really a great place and I truly think all of you here are really brave and noble to share your stories and support with each other! It really reflects the natural kindness and caring of people!

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks again!

-David

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond :) I think you all are right, I am likely stressing over nothing...google has done me little service in that regard!

This forum is really great, I think everyone here is truly brave and noble for sharing their stories and support with one another! It is a reflection of the genuine kindness and caring people have for each other!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and thanks so much again!

-David

* I may have posted this twice, I am still trying to figure out how these forums work :razz:

You're most welcome, David. As a former college prof, I understand some of the stress associated with grad school - I've been known to cause some myself! :wink: Add the very real pain and other neuro problems you describe and it's no wonder you're worried and stressed-out.

Do see a doctor as soon as possible. Hopefully, they can promptly diagnose the cause of your symptoms and get you on an effective treatment/management regimen. Then you'll be able to fully focus on the pain and misery caused by your dear faculty!

Best wishes,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back