12/2010
Country
US
State
FL
City
Orlando
Just a warning about a legal danger.

Right after my wife passed, a lawyer (not mine) approached a judge in the elevator and mentioned that poor so-and-so had died (my wife) and needed a personal representative. The judge signed the lawyers papers on the spot, appointing that lawyer to be the personal representative of MY wife.

That gave the lawyer the authority to go into my wife's accounts and look around. Pretty convenient for him since his firm was SUING my wife.

Not right, but not easy to fix. It was a fluke that I found out about it in the first place.

That sounds awful. I would think this is unethical and a conflict of interest... I love your posts Atsugi. Sorry you had to deal with something like this.

Is that legal ? Sounds awful. You must then have had yet another battle to fight.
Good to warn everyone

That is horrible and can't be ethical. That lawyer definitely needs to be reported.

I sure hope her accounts were empty by the time he got there. I do hope you reported him to the Barr. And the judge too for just taking him at his word without checking that she already had representation.

Just a warning about a legal danger.

Right after my wife passed, a lawyer (not mine) approached a judge in the elevator and mentioned that poor so-and-so had died (my wife) and needed a personal representative. The judge signed the lawyers papers on the spot, appointing that lawyer to be the personal representative of MY wife.

That gave the lawyer the authority to go into my wife's accounts and look around. Pretty convenient for him since his firm was SUING my wife.

Not right, but not easy to fix. It was a fluke that I found out about it in the first place.

As a lawyer let me just say, this type of thing is not uncommon. The judge should be reported. He violated the canons of judicial ethics by engaging in exparte communications.

Unbelievable. Yes, please do report them both, Mike. Wow.

He violated the canons of judicial ethics by engaging in exparte communications.
Wow. That’s fancy talk.
Great to have a lawyer on board here, James, though I wish you weren’t a PALS.

Mike, did you ever get this mess straightened out??

No, I never pressed it. This happened in 2011 when my lawyer told me about it.

In a twist, a couple years after Krissy passed, I went to my lawyer's office and found the landlord emptying it out. My lawyer was disbarred for taking money out of a trust.

So I called the state and was told my records were entrusted to another law office. I went down there and they arranged for me to pick up the box of records later. All good.

I discovered later that my lawyer, who had helped VERY much during ALS--even driving to our house to get verbal signatures--was in the Big House doing Hard Time!

Go figure. You just never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back