Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
Florida
Just a warning about a legal danger.

Right after my wife passed, a lawyer (not mine) approached a judge in the elevator and mentioned that poor so-and-so had died (my wife) and needed a personal representative. The judge signed the lawyers papers on the spot, appointing that lawyer to be the personal representative of MY wife.

That gave the lawyer the authority to go into my wife's accounts and look around. Pretty convenient for him since his firm was SUING my wife.

Not right, but not easy to fix. It was a fluke that I found out about it in the first place.

ReginaS

Forum Supporter
Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
02/2018
Country
US
State
--
That sounds awful. I would think this is unethical and a conflict of interest... I love your posts Atsugi. Sorry you had to deal with something like this.

MarieLaure

Forum Supporter
Distinguished member
Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
FR
State
Ile de France
Is that legal ? Sounds awful. You must then have had yet another battle to fight.
Good to warn everyone

soonerwife

Very helpful member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
Oklahoma
That is horrible and can't be ethical. That lawyer definitely needs to be reported.

Narrowminded

Very helpful member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
PA
I sure hope her accounts were empty by the time he got there. I do hope you reported him to the Barr. And the judge too for just taking him at his word without checking that she already had representation.

Jamesgol

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
US
State
OK
Just a warning about a legal danger.

Right after my wife passed, a lawyer (not mine) approached a judge in the elevator and mentioned that poor so-and-so had died (my wife) and needed a personal representative. The judge signed the lawyers papers on the spot, appointing that lawyer to be the personal representative of MY wife.

That gave the lawyer the authority to go into my wife's accounts and look around. Pretty convenient for him since his firm was SUING my wife.

Not right, but not easy to fix. It was a fluke that I found out about it in the first place.
As a lawyer let me just say, this type of thing is not uncommon. The judge should be reported. He violated the canons of judicial ethics by engaging in exparte communications.

Nuts

Forum Supporter
Very helpful member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
North Carolina
Unbelievable. Yes, please do report them both, Mike. Wow.

KarenNWendyn

Forum Supporter
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
Oregon
He violated the canons of judicial ethics by engaging in exparte communications.
Wow. That’s fancy talk.
Great to have a lawyer on board here, James, though I wish you weren’t a PALS.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks